Changing out sandbed?

dough

Supporting
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about changing out my sandbed in my tank that is up and running. I used a pretty course sand when I set my tank up several years ago and really don't like the look.

I figured I could change out a section at a time during regular water changes. I'm hoping by doing this over a period of a month or so, I wont disturb things too much. I know I wont be able to completely remove the old sand.

Has anybody else tried this? Any advice?

I think it depends on how deep your current sandbed is. If its shallow it shouldn't be a problem. If its on the deeper side then you could have some nasty deposits that will get mixed into your water column. Slow and steady is the safer way to go either way.

I recently did this because I had sugar-fine sand and I hated it. I was able to get all the sand out without having any adverse affects by only taking small amounts out when I did water changes. I do changes every other week, so after a few months it was bare bottom.

Been there, done that. The best piece of advice I can give is go slow. If it's a course grain, you can get 5/8" vinyl tubing (or larger) that will help get it up as you do you water changes. Or you could take it up one or two cups at a time being sure to try and remove as much detritus as possible during the water change.

Unless you're trying to change from a deep sand bed to a shallow one, I dont think it's necessary (provided proper maintenance and occasional water changes).

That said, I totally agree; if you decide to do it, go slowly. In your shoes, I would even ensure that I thoroughly siphoned all the sand while doing water changes first. You will know that most of the detritus is removed during water changes the water from the sandbed changes from 'dark brown' to 'cloudy' to 'lightly cloudy/clear'.

On another note; I'm happy to take your old/dirty sand and put it to good use on other projects, if you decide to proceed.

Slow and steady will win the race on this. Especially since the tank has been up and running for several years. I will slowly do it until you get to bare bottom, then start back slowly adding after that.

It's a pretty shallow sand bed 1" to 1.5".

The plan is to suck up the older sand during water changes and back fill the bare spots with new sand. It may end up looking a little hodgepodge in the end up after snorkeling in the Keys this summer I noticed that sand around the reefs was not uniform.

Taking a little out and adding the finer sand when done is a good idea. This will help get those areas of the bed populated. Through normal settling the finer sand will sink to the bottom over time.

When adding the new sand. Using a section of 3/4" PVC pipe and a funnel will be a big help getting the sand right where you want it without making a cloudy mess. Even more so if you rinse the new stuff first. Add the sand slow to the funnel and if it gets clogged pour a little tank water in to open it back up.

Used my regulator siphon tubing to get the old out and an 1.5" dia pvc tube and a plastic cup to back add the new sand. Worked like a charm.

Back