Changing over PC Actinics to VHO or T5's

parmoffitt

Market
Reaction score
I learned from an aquarium site that PC's don't put out as much light as T5's or VHO's and they don't carry PC's anymore because they have a poor K rating and don't last as long or put out as much light.

Is it possible to change this Coralife double ended 150MH with two PC actinics to T5's or VHO's w/o replacing the whole light fixture? Can it be done?

Also I didn't know there was such a thing as l2K MH bulbs and wanted to hear from someone using them.

I bought 14K's last year and am going to put them back on because they are only a few months old. I will have to say the tank was not bright as I would have liked. I had been using PC03 blue actinics at the time. That was probably a mistake but the recommendation of the site I bought the bulbs from.

For now before I do something about my lighting what PC color range would you put on the tank and can the lighting system be changed over or do I have to suck it up and purchase maybe a MH lighting system with T5's or VHO's or get the Solaris?

If you are electrically and mechanically inclined, you can probably convert the PC to T5. It is just a fabrication and wiring thing. Would it be worth the time or money? I dont really think so. You'd want to buy reflectors, lights, and the ballast and squeeze it all in there. You will probably be fine with the dual MH supplemented by PCs. If you wanted to do the t5 thing, I'd just replace the entire lighting system with them. You can get an idea of costs at reefgeek.com

Back