Cheap room saving fuge

smoothie

Market
Reaction score
http://www.linomareefs.com/viewtopic.php?t=715">http://www.linomareefs.com/viewtopic.php?t=715</a>

Pretty neat. Hope you guys enjoy the link

I had one of those, it sucked. Actually caused nitrite spikes and algea blooms for the entire 2.5 months I ran it.

Took it off and made a sulphur denitrator...better!

EnderG60;417941 wrote: I had one of those, it sucked. Actually caused nitrite spikes and algea blooms for the entire 2.5 months I ran it.

Took it off and made a sulphur denitrator...better!

Can you elaborate? Were you running a bucket or something else? How much sand and how deep? What kind of flow did you have? The site recommends a MJ-1200 and 3" of water. There are plenty of people who do/have run them and recommend them and can post their setups. Just saying that "I had one and it didn't work" doesn't say much. Maybe there's a reason your particular setup didn't work?

My setup was exactly like the link, couldnt tell you why it didnt work like other peoples have but it didnt. Just caused problems until I took it off.

Besides the sulphur reactor is smaller and more variable to each specific tank(amount of media / flow rate can be changed to tune it to the tanks needs)

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">With the setup of m new tank I originally planned on doing a refugium but decided to try the Elos system (similar to the Zeovit system). I wonder how a DSB would affect the Elos system. I know that a refugium would not work because the Elos stuff makes the water nutrient poor and the plants can't grow... The reason I ask is my sump has a spot for a nice refugium that I am not using... I could use it as a DSB though...</span></span>

I plan on setting one of these up in the next week or so. Been collecting sand for several tanks and got a bucket and everything I need. Just need to spend the time to put in my 'bulkheads' and throw it on.

I'm curious, is there any drawback to having the drain and input next to each other, instead of straight across? Don't really feel like running a few feet of clear hose if I only have to run one foot.

Back