Cheaper scraper blades?

enderg60

Market
Reaction score
So I have been using kent scrapers for a while but they are expensive anyone know a cheaper source or a cheaper scraper?

I just use a razor blade. Buy them in packs of 100 at harbor freight for like 2 dollars

I do too for many uses, but cleaning all 15 feet of viewable glass with one little blade and no handle is hell with my tank.

What about a floor scraper that take the 4-6 inch razor blades?

After years of reading about the glue on scraper for mag floats I bought one. And i can honestly say. I am extremely impressed. For me to clean my glass completely my hands do not get wet at all. Even after weeks of coralline and green glass algae. After I am done. I remove the blade and dry it. Then apply altitude bit of Pam spray on it then wipe it dry. I only need the blade a couple times a month

Just purchased a flipper for my 150 and am pretty impressed with it. Makes scrapping really easy especially down by the bottom edges and corners near silicone, has good control so you don't do any damage. Not really a cheap alternative but built well and should last.

You are the 5th person to recommend a $85 flipper when I asked about a cheaper scraper....what am I missing here?

and yes I have tried floor and window scrapers. They all rust and become useless as you cant get the blade out.

EnderG60;1019422 wrote: You are the 5th person to recommend a $85 flipper when I asked about a cheaper scraper....what am I missing here?

and yes I have tried floor and window scrapers. They all rust and become useless as you cant get the blade out.
Lol my bad

Sounds like besides HF razor blades you know your options.

Lol no worries I just though it was funny.

I would have no problem paying that if I could leave it in the tank and not worry about it rusting.

I leave my magfloat in there 24/7 as I use it to take the dusting off the glass every day or two. Then go in with a scraper every week or two to get the hard spots.

I found a knock off kent blade pack and got what I paid for. They lasted one scraping before getting dull, and ended up scratching the glass in a number of places :(

I dont mind spending money on something if it will work for my needs, but in my years in the hobby I have not found a blade thats worth paying $1.50+ each for.

I think Im gonna glue 3 standard razor blade holders to my kent scraper and call it a day.

You just sparked a great idea that I don't think has been invented yet.

I'll PM you just in case we strike it rich with this idea :)

EnderG60;1019425 wrote: Lol no worries I just though it was funny.

I would have no problem paying that if I could leave it in the tank and not worry about it rusting.

I leave my magfloat in there 24/7 as I use it to take the dusting off the glass every day or two. Then go in with a scraper every week or two to get the hard spots.

I found a knock off kent blade pack and got what I paid for. They lasted one scraping before getting dull, and ended up scratching the glass in a number of places :(

I dont mind spending money on something if it will work for my needs, but in my years in the hobby I have not found a blade thats worth paying $1.50+ each for.

I think Im gonna glue 3 standard razor blade holders to my kent scraper and call it a day.

You can still order that glue on scraper for your mag float. Just take the blade out of the scraper and clean then dry it. Putting a food grade spray oil on it would keep it from rusting.

I like to use a plastic blade holder made by Stanley tools. It use the stronger utility blades instead of razor blades. Cost is about $3 bucks at the big box stores. Use it one time then take the blade out, throw it away and replace with a new one.

Back