Cheapest way to add calcium?

gordob

Market
Reaction score
What is the cheapest way to add calcium to a tank? I'm currently just adding the two-part solution, and it is ridiculous. I haven't jumped over to a calcium reactor yet, but do I need to be heading that way with SPS corals? I know people used to add those Dow Flakes, but it seems that was in the past. I appreciate any advice I can get on this! (Less important, but still a question is iodine. Is there an inexpensive route for adding that for my softies?)

Thanks,
Brad

A reactor is the cheapest way to add, but cost allot to get started. As for iodine I would be carefull it is easy to over dose and most people done add it the let there water changes take care of it.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind about the iodine. I was just trying to boost my growth rate on softies. I'll let the water changes take care of that. As far as the calcium reactor is concerned, what are the things to take into account with that? (What brand, size, what to watch out for, etc.?)

By the way, my tank is a 75 gallon mixed reef.

Thanks for the help,
Brad

If your not already doing so, run your top off through a DIY kalk reator and supplement two part solution if needed. Your not going to get cheaper than mrs wages pickling lime for kalk. Buy the two part from Bulkreefsupply. Don't forget about magnesium.

I have a 90 gallon mixed reef and the above is what I'm doing.

Calcium reactor will be your cheapest long term solution. Other than that, kalk is your next best option. If you want to automate kalk, take a look at a Nilsen reactor.

Thanks guys! I'm reading up on the different options you have suggested. I appreciate the advice and input. Skriz, do you have good plan layout for the Nilsen reactor you suggested?

- Brad

My mushrooms split and do better when I dose iodide. I went a 6 months without dosing iodide, very few splits, starting dosing it again, and bam, split city on the softies. Softies do seem to love the stuff, shrimps seem to molt quite a bit more too as well.

Matt

CA reactor is your best, long-term bet. Even if you are not planning SPS, they are worth the money.

GordoB;308367 wrote: Thanks guys! I'm reading up on the different options you have suggested. I appreciate the advice and input. Skriz, do you have good plan layout for the Nilsen reactor you suggested?

- Brad

These are what I'm talking about:
index.php

I noticed that Ball's Pickling lime was $1.96 for a pound at Walmart just the other day. (Calcium hydroxide, delivers calcium and the hydroxide converts dissolved CO2 in seawater into bicarbonate). At 2 tsp per gallon of topoff, it is probably the cheapest, and can be done for what it costs to do your ATO anyway. Unless you have a HUGE number of stonys and clams, it will be both sufficient and beneficial.

Calcium reactors can cause a lot of problems....Ph drops, excess CO2, etc...make sure you get a good one and properly dial it in.

I sold mine about a year ago(after the crash), went back to 2 part, now going to the powders (cheaper than 2 part).
Recently, Bulk Reef Supply (maybe a power buy soon) had some great deals on calcium/Alk additives. Good luck with your decision!

you could also try a gallon of milk

fish need calcium to ya know, strengthens their teeth ;-)

Wow. The last two posts are great help also. I knew I had heard about drawbacks to a calcium reactor, but I couldn't remember what they were. I'll look into these other alternatives to my current additives now too.

Thanks!
Brad

Okay, not the LAST two...Carty posted before mine went through, but thanks Tom and Mike.

- Brad

Back