Check Hanna Alk reagents!!

bwilliby

Supporting
Reaction score
I am not sure if this has already been posted here or not, but i ran across it on a national forum, and thought I'd pass it along. Apparently, there is a recall on a lot of the Hanna Alk reagent lot numbers. I checked both bottles that i had, and they both came back as needing to be replaced. Just a heads up!

You can check it on their website here...

https://hannainst.wufoo.com/forms/w1hzjs2j1b4ejyu/">https://hannainst.wufoo.com/forms/w1hzjs2j1b4ejyu/</a>

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I had a day or so ago (admittedly in the bottom of someone else's thread), but it's important enough to be well worth repeating and all on its own as a subject. No better way to kill off your corals than inducing an alk swing, and worse to do it to thinking you're "fixing" a problem.

Make sure you have a photo of your reagent vial (label side)... when I called Hanna about the "proof of purchase" section of the form they said that they'd need that to process the request.

I had been searching the net for info on their testers when I stumbled on that thread. As someone who is partially color blind I thought having several of these on hand would be a good idea. Now I'm not to sure if buying them is a good idea. I find it hard to believe that the company wouldn't post anything on their own website regarding this problem. If they're going to sweep this under the rug what would will they do with other problems in the future?

Anit77 - not colorblind, but definitely not a fan of "count the drops & watch for the color change" testing methods. Use their testers on the principle of getting an easy read on a High/Medium/Low scale and don't read too much into the lowest significant digit of the ppm readout and they're great.

At least the alkalinity checker is (only one I have experience using). Charting its readings over a week allowed me to finally get a good handle on how much carbonate's sucked out of my tank's water and set a stable dosing regimen.

As for why notice isn't up on their website? No answer for you... it's baffling as to why there's no notice, even in the support section.

Thanks for the info Jeremy. I'm not completely colorblind, most people that are colorblind don't see in black & white, it's shades of certain colors that F me up. On those charts with a bunch of dots and you need to spot the number or letter, I can get about 1/2 to 2/3rds of them right. Shades of red/purple & green/brown are the worst. Burgundy is a bad one, certain pinks look grey.

Most reagent PH tests are shades to red. I always have to go to my wife and have her tell me the result. I know I will need to have at least 2 different testing methods to double check results occasionally but it would be nice to have my main test to be with something like Hanna's checkers. That way I wouldn't be pestering the wife all the time. There just aren't any alternatives and I'm starting out with little faith in this company.

I saw this in the other post and thank you for posting it. I had 9 previously used bottles out if 11 that were under the recall. I suppose that's why it's so important to watch our tanks and not react too quickly to testing results until you can confirm it. I'll continue to keep it stable whatever the number is. Lol. I'll still stick with Hanna checkers as it's the easiest for me.

Back