Check valve question

Steve Burton

Vice President
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
<ol>
<li>Planning plumbing for my first ever aquarium/sump, what kind of check valves should I get, I see ball or ss spring type are available. I'm planning gate valves and lots of unions.  60 gallon corner weir with a 1" and a 3/4" hole in the bottom, should I use 3/4" for the return? Any other suggestions?</li>
</ol>

If you are going to use a check valve you want either a wye type with a weighted stopper, or a basic flapper style.  Either way you want 100% plastic, and you want unions on top and bottom and a spare so you can swap them out and clean them every few months.

That said, most people dont use them because they tend to buildup deposits or simply get stuck after a few weeks so its not the best for a one stop safety thing.  I would drill an anti-syphon hole on your return, after that a check valve is a secondary backup.  This is how my system is run.

I have an anti siphon hole and my returns are just below the surface of the water. Very little if any water siphons when I turn the pump off. I have no check valve.

Back