check valves

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
I got an auto top of switch used on ebay. Really sweet. The only thing I need is some kind of check valve to prevent back flow. Its a 3/4 tube.

Anyone know where I can get a check valve...or something?

Thanks!

Make sure you hose isnt in the sump water just above it so theres ni suction...

there are not many applications I can think of where keeping the reservoir's level above your displays water level is logical.

I really dont have anyway of placing the container above my tank. I would much rather keep in in the cabinet below and pump the water in as needed. I see some PVC check valves at Marine Depot. $25.00 (wow). I didnt pay that much for the ATO. I will check with Aquabuys. He is close to me. Otherwise...I think I can, as was suggested, keep the end out of the water.

Thats not as cool as a check valve though:yes: .

Thanks guys!

Just a thought...
If you ever plan on using kalk in your top off water... you could very easily clog a check valve.

Cap bay has them, but that is quite a drive for you. I will check price today, and I'm not sure they have 3/4 ones. If they are really cheap and you still want one I can probably ship it to you.

You can also reduce down and use airline size tubing (3/16?)for top off. THat way you can just run an airline check valve. Thats what i do, but I don't run kalk though the check, just RO. Also it fills more slowly, slowing down salinity swings, etc. It is also nice because you can run a smaller pump like a 404, 606, Via Aqua, or similar.

corvettecris;184533 wrote: You can also reduce down and use airline size tubing (3/16?)for top off. THat way you can just run an airline check valve. Thats what i do, but I don't run kalk though the check, just RO. Also it fills more slowly, slowing down salinity swings, etc. It is also nice because you can run a smaller pump like a 404, 606, Via Aqua, or similar.

Yeah...thats a good idea too Chris. I had this mag 5 on hand so I was going to use it. But that is definetly overkill. A smaller pump would probably be more effective.

stickx911;184568 wrote: where did you get the ATO for less than $25?

EBAY!!!!
This guy said he used it one time and his tank crashed. It looked brand new. The probe thinky attaches to the glass with a suction cup..and doesnt clear the rim of the tank (poor design...may be why he dumped it). So I manufactured a plastic bracket.
Works great!

dawgdude;184612 wrote: Chris, Dont get a check valve! Just leave the end out of the water. My ATO has functioned like that for a while and is perfectly fine. A check valve is one more thing to malfuntion. SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE.

Yeah...that may be the way to go!!

Saw one at ACE today for 3 bucks, 3/4 inch. So it is available. If it's a must.

Back