Chemical filtration?

gtox44

Market
Reaction score
I am starting a 29 gallon reef tank and so far I have a skimmer, lights, and power heads. I am getting live rock soon but my LFS also told me that I also need to used carbon for chemical filtration. I have some HOBs from when I had a freshwater tank? Is it really necessary to use it?

Others may disagree, but I only run carbon when trying to remove contaminants or meds. I run a HOB on my 20G that was previously used on a FW tank with no issues. I removed all the media including the carbon and filled the chamber with LR rubble. The pods seem to love it and it allows them to maintain a population even with my goby and wrasse chowing down constantly. :)

LR Rubble, Carbon and Seachem Purigen and lots of water changes is what I use and never have any issues with water quality

I run it 24/7 because I have leathers and sps in the same tank and was always worried about chemical warfare . I also run ozone and is a must with it's use. I know carbon removes some of the toxins. Is it absolutly necessary, problably not. If you do decide to run carbon make sure you keep it changed at recommended intervals.

Back