Chemiclean Mistake

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I dosed Chemiclean last night in an attempt to knock out the Cyano that keeps popping up. I screwed up and left the skimmer on for about 12 hours.

Should I redose or continue the 48 hours as if it never happened and do my water change tomorrow evening?

Nah....If I remember correctly, they instruct you to turn the skimmer of because chemiclean can send your skimmer into overdrive

Ringo®;952564 wrote: Nah....If I remember correctly, they instruct you to turn the skimmer of because chemiclean can send your skimmer into overdrive

+1. I honestly would leave the skimmer on if it isn't overflowing. More oxygenation the better with that stuff.

It did overflow at first then calmed down. I was afraid it would be removing the meds.

Declanisadog;952569 wrote: +1. I honestly would leave the skimmer on if it isn't overflowing. More oxygenation the better with that stuff.

Instructions state leave off. I think that Ringo meant off instead of "of".

If the skimmer was clean before dosing I would dump the skimmer cup into the sump instead of risking overdosing.

FF337;952579 wrote: Instructions state leave off. I think that Ringo meant off instead of "of".

If the skimmer was clean before dosing I would dump the skimmer cup into the sump instead of risking overdosing.

I understood. I was saying, the more water agitation the better with that stuff. I have used it both ways (with/without skimming). results were the same...total cyano annihilation. I just feel better about using oxygen depleting supplements in my tank when there's a constant supply of bubbles.

FF337;952579 wrote: Instructions state leave off. I think that Ringo meant off instead of "of".
Indeed, I did.
Declanisadog;952588 wrote: I understood. I was saying, the more water agitation the better with that stuff. I have used it both ways (with/without skimming). results were the same...total cyano annihilation. I just feel better about using oxygen depleting supplements in my tank when there's a constant supply of bubbles.

Same here. I would also leave it running if you're not using an air stone. If you're worried about dilution, you could always take the collection cup off your skimmer

Ok. I follow the directions when using chemicals. I am not a scientist and feel they put that on the label for a reason other than "it overflows the skimmer"
I too have used it with zero problems. But have read the horror stories of people ruining their tanks after using it.

I put the air stone in a while before dosing. I can't see the results yet because it has just been a little over 24 hours but hopefully it will help. Everyone seems OK so I will does again in the future if leaving the skimmer on messed it up.

I received the following reply from Chemiclean today, good info to know.

"First of all, it is fine and even recommended to run the skimmer during treatment. The old directions asked you to shut the skimmer off. This was due to the skimmer over foaming during treatment and making a mess with hang on the back skimmers. </em>
We have recently updated the directions to indicate using the skimmer as a source of added aeration. So you did nothing wrong there. As far as treating with a second dose goes, we recommend giving the aquarium a day or two between treatments."</em>

Good deal. Glad that was cleared up. I do not use chemiclean often but every other year or so I do more of a preventive than anything else.

rk4435;952732 wrote: And now with the lights on I see a whole new batch of red slime.

Are you sure its cyano?? Leaving the lights off for 24 hrs will not hurt anything.

Back