Chemipure discoloration?

reeferjw

Market
Reaction score
Anyone use Chemipure Carbon? I purchased a jar that contains 1 unit sealed in the jar in a mesh bag. I opened the container and removed the bag full o carbon and there was some rust colored stain on the bag. I looked closer at it and some of the carbon appeared rusty, burnt orange in color and clumped together under the stain on the bag. This can't be normal can it? It looks like some moisture got in there to me.

I am concerned about throwing rust in my tank, but wanted some other opinions. Any thoughts?

I use Chemi-Pure Elite and just checked the unused one on hand. It has a seal on the top and I don't want to open it until I'm ready to use it. Was yours sealed completely across the top? Even if it was and you have any doubt, I'd return it and get another. Check the seal and/or open it at the store.

<span style="font-family: Tahoma;">I used it twice. both times I saw the same phenomena. I used it anyway without any issues.</span>

Yeah, it was sealed, so maybe the jar was wet when it was packaged. I think I will try to return it just in case, even though I no longer have the receipt. I was going to use it in my 3gal nano, and even a little bit of contamination can cause all sorts of problems there.

Thanks for the responses!

The rust coloration you're seeing is the ion exchange resin that's found in chemi-pure. It's an amber color and can easily be mistaken for rust... If chemi-pure was just straight carbon then it wouldn't be "special". There is some debate as to whether ion exchange resins actually have any benefitial effects in saltwater, but it prolly doesn't hurt anything either :). Personally I used to use it, but now I just use plain old activated carbon.

That makes me feel a little more at ease with it. I checked another jar and it had it too. I will give it a go.

Thanks everyone.

Back