Chemistry help

roundman

Market
Reaction score
I have been using 2 part for about 4 weeks now and saturday I noticed that when I put part 1 in it turned to a fine dust and stayed that way for a couple of hours. I did a 20 gal water change yesterday and here are the readings this am.

Ph 8.0
Nitrates 30 (always high)
Ca 360
Alk 7.2 (268)
Mg 540

My sps are doing great, can almost watch them grow. Fish and sofies are ok. Only things not looking very good are candy cane (one good other not so good) and toadstool bent over not happy at all.

Should I slowly add the Mg supplement that came with the 2 part or what should I do.

Thanks

roundman;115490 wrote: I have been using 2 part for about 4 weeks now and saturday I noticed that when I put part 1 in it turned to a fine dust and stayed that way for a couple of hours. I did a 20 gal water change yesterday and here are the readings this am.

Ph 8.0
Nitrates 30 (always high)
Ca 360
Alk 7.2 (268)
Mg 540

My sps are doing great, can almost watch them grow. Fish and sofies are ok. Only things not looking very good are candy cane (one good other not so good) and toadstool bent over not happy at all.

Should I slowly add the Mg supplement that came with the 2 part or what should I do.

Thanks

I'd try to verify that Mg level with another kit, but if it holds I'd id bring it up slowly. It will help the Alk as well (which is also on the low side, and will eventually cause problems).

I am not as sure about the "white" you mention, but it sounds like something is precipitating out. I'd have to look at the chemistry more closely to be sure of that (can't right now). If you dilute it some more, that might help. Also, separate when you add each part of the two part over a period of time (hour or so?) and see if that helps. They are split up because they can interfere with each other.

Others will probably chime in with more precise advice.

-Mike

Get that mg up first (and retest with another kit as suggested above). You likely won't be able to raise Ca and alk easily until Mg is up. Kinda suprised your Mg is that low with your Ca being that high which may be test kit related.

Thanks for the help. I would trust the mg kit before the ca kit, its older. I will try small doses of the mg supplement and monitor.

Back