Chiller Efficentcy

jeep9783

Market
Reaction score
Nevermind my spelling abbilites

I have about 90-100gal water volume...flow from the sump to display is roughply 250gph so i have a temp difference of about .6deg diff from the sump temp to the display temp....1/4hp current modular chiller with upgraded uv insert and heater insert...686gph flow threw the chiller...the chiller sucks out of the sump back into the sump

now my chiller comes on only for maybe 1min max every hour or so with the main lights on (6 t5ho overdriven about 3-4inches away from water)
what is the most efficent way of running a chiller....i just now had to start using it as my temps hit 80deg for the first time this summer is the reason i am asking

If you are only running one tank on your system, then I would plumb your chiller into the return line to your tank. If you are running more than one tank on your sump, then your current setup is fine, just make sure you pump to the chiller from the intake side and return to the return pump side.

When I only had my 210, I had my chiller on a return line. Now I have three tanks, and my new chiller will pull like I described above.

You meen the supply line going back up to the tank (display)....I only have one for the time being but am in the process of lookin for a cube for seahorses that i will be plumbing into the setup

Yup the line that returns water from the sump to the tank. You can always change it if/when you plumb a seahorse tank.

But i really don't wana run 600gph threw the sump...I am running my skimmer at about 50-100gph (resirc) so i try to avoid alot of flow threw there...I haven't been able to find the right flow for my chiller so i just did 600gph...i unplugged my heater as i only have two single output ranco controllers....i really need one that is dual output...i am affraid that it will kill my elec bill with the two on seperate controllers and possibly battling back and forth

I think the best way to run is thru the return, but you can run it as set up. I think the chiller being plumbed thru the return will run to a more representational showing and control of the tank temp. Current USA recommends the following for your chiller: flow rate 9-16 GPM or a minimum of 540 GPM. The net effect of in sump circulation like yours in a low flow sump setup is that the chiller will cycle on/off more because it only has to cool a small amount of water since your sump is low flow.

You really only have two choices anyways: leave it as is or plumb into the return. Your choice.

I have dual stage reg coming with my new 1/2 HP chiller.

I think the main risk of not having the recommended flow thru your chiller is freeze up of the coil, I assume because there is not enough water flowing thru to transfer the cold out. Heat is vented out by the fan blowing on the coil.

haha (my luck) anyone have a dual ranco to trade for two single? Probably not...but i am in the works of solar panels for the tank here in the next few months...but also tryin to work out less power use and less of a power bill

ok or i would also be open to trade two ranco's for a reefkeeper...I know this isn't a forsale or trade just messing with yall...this is just my luck i always buy or have the wrong thing for what i am tryin to do...i am sure most can relate to this

Well some here do prefer the Rancos over the all in one controllers, so you may get lucky.

My sump is high flow, and I have a recirculating skimmer. I have never really worried about flow rate thru the sump, and my skimmer works just fine. I'm going to circulate water thru my chiller with a Mag 12, pulling from the intake side and retuning to the return side. Really the only way to do it for me, as I have three tanks plumbed into the sump, but I easily have 1500 gallons/hour going thru the sump.

well i also have a fuge built into the return from the display so i can't really have crazy flow as it is only a 20l as a sump

jeep9783;349219 wrote: well i also have a fuge built into the return from the display so i can't really have crazy flow as it is only a 20l as a sump

I have a fuge in my sump as well, but is is separate from the rest of the sump (MRC), with it's own flow control.
Dave

Well i dont have any other room under my stand...20l with 1gal skim waste collector and precision marine kalk reactor i had to mount my ato controller on the door along with my ph monitor...now if you are willing to trade me that 210 maybe i can fit my chiller under there and probably a 40breader for a fuge under there as well...lol

Back