Chiller questions

dkelly

Market
Reaction score
I'm considering adding an inline chiller to my 210g reef tank. It's located in my finished office in the basement. Currently the tank temp is around 79F with MH+PC lighting. I'm planning on replacing the 2x175MH with 3x400MH.

What size chiller do I need?
What type of temp controller? I'm considering getting an AquaController III
What's the electric requirements? 110v or 220v?
Do I plumb the chiller in/out of sump or from sump to tank return?
How much heat (and noise) is the compressor going to add to the room?
Should I try to put the compressor outside?

Thanks!

I know that I have 2x175 and 1 250 MH in my canopy and had a fan on sump. Temps were 82-84 all the time. Now just with better ventilation in canopy, I have 80.6 as max temp. Just for moving hot air away from water. I think the evap is actually a little lower as well because I have lowered the fan on the sump also.

A cheaper way to see what your temp. will be before you make the chiller plunge.
-Scott

I got mine teed off from the return with a ball valve approx 400g per hour runs through it. Then I have the return line from the chiller go directly into the tank. Not only is it cold but also adds more flow :) As far as size maybe not sure mine is a 1/10 hp on approx 120 gallons and that is pushing it. As far as noise it will sound like a window air conditioner kicking on. The noise is not that bad. Most chillers have a digital temp gauge. The compressor will add heat but IMO not enough to make a huge difference.

1/4 or 1/3 is the way to go. Chiller can never get too big. if you only want to drop the temp 4-5 degrees then you'll be OK with a 1/6.

Back