Chiller size on a 75gal

dmkahlan

Market
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm wanting to buy a chiller for my 75gal tank. I've found a few different sites that quote different things.

I want to cool my tank by 7-8 degrees in the summer and 4-5 in the winter.

Here's a chiller that I've been looking at:
Current USA 1/10HP Prime Inline Aquarium Chiller
* Dual stage controller (Can control a heater as well as the Chiller. Heater not included).
* 10 degree cooling up to 80 gallons. 20 degree cooling up to 40 gallons. 30 degree cooling up to 30 gallons. 40 degree cooling up to 15 gallons.

Is this going to be enough and will it run all day?

IMO no and yes, in order. I have a 1/6 hp on my 90g and before I installed a canopy and fans (ran it open top with pendants), it would run probably 10-15 minutes every hour, and I wasn't trying to cool it as far as you are describing. My tank would creep up slightly over 82 with a 79 degree ambient temperature (with no chiller), and I set up the chiller to come on at 80.5.

For some reason, with a canopy in place it may turn on ten minutes a day in the summer. I thought open top would cool better, but 2 4" fans in a canopy keep it down a lot better.

i've got a 1/5th on my 60 cube. It turns on once every other day for about 10 min, it's a bit overkill but it's there incase my AC craps out and I'm not home.

Back