Citric Acid - substitute for vinegar for cleaning precipitation

ripped tide

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys, I tried something today to see how well it worked. I had to clean a small power head that was completely covered in calcium precipitation.

I normally use vinegar, but wanted to try something else. I get tired of the smell associated with vinegar. I used a small amount of Mrs. Wages Powdered Citric Acid mixed in a small volume of water. It worked wonderfully!!!

The main benefit, and very important to those of use who have others living in our homes, no smell.

:) Have a nice one!

Grocery store! I'm the canning section

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Grocery store! I'm the canning section

And most Homebrew shops can get it in as well. They might have to order it if you get a bulk size. We used to carry 1lb, 5 lb and would order 10 lb and 55 lb sizes for people.

ybe2abaj.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Whopping 3-4 bucks! Cheap, no smell, condensed.

Say good-bye to the aquariums that smell like pickles

JDW;957014 wrote: How much of that do you mix with your water?

I measure in "southern style". Lol a nice little amount of acid to some water..... hehe

Is a really safe acid, and I don't know the exact Ratios. I'll have to experiment with different amounts and reply.

I just dump in that amount that I feel is right

Ideally, you want the pH to go down below 7. The further down, the quicker the calcium dissolves

Keep in mind, as precipitation dissolves back into the solution, the ph will rise. If you don't go down low enough initially, just add more acid

Back