• Citric Acid

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Muriatic Acid

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
It seems old people use both for cleaning power heads and pumps. I’ve got Muriatic on hand from cleaning rocks. Where do you guys get citric acid from? Is citric as caustic at muriatic? Do you have to neutralize it with baking soda when you’re done like muriatic?

it’s been a few months since I cleaned my power heads and they’re pretty caked with coralline algae

Muriatic acid and vinegar will make plastic parts brittle over time. On glass or metal it's not an issue. So with those you can use a stronger mix of muriatic for heavy cleaning.

Pumps are best done with citric mixed to 5%. It will really help with the longevity of the plastic. A little rinse once done and your fine without neutralizing. If there's a tiny bit of residue it's not a problem as citric is also an organic carbon source and will be rapidly taken up.

@ichthyoid can fill you in with more detail of the pros and cons.

BRS has Citric Acid. You can also get it on Amazon.
In larger quantities Duda Diesel would be a better choice.

Muriatic acid and vinegar will make plastic parts brittle over time. On glass or metal it's not an issue. So with those you can use a stronger mix of muriatic for heavy cleaning.

Pumps are best done with citric mixed to 5%. It will really help with the longevity of the plastic. A little rinse once done and your fine without neutralizing. If there's a tiny bit of residue it's not a problem as citric is also an organic carbon source and will be rapidly taken up.

@ichthyoid can fill you in with more detail of the pros and cons.

BRS has Citric Acid. You can also get it on Amazon.
In larger quantities Duda Diesel would be a better choice.
I order direct from Duda Energy as well. I get the 50lb bucket which is listed now for $168 on their site and $195 on amazon. I clean everything in citric. I soak for a few hours and clean. Dip in ro for a while then rinse in ro and never had any issues. I use an old measuring cup, scoop some into a 5 gal bucket and fill with ro. I can tell its working when it burns all the little cuts in my hands :) Not the best or safest way to use but there ya are.

I use bleach.. What is the advantage of an acid?
Use both but not at the same time. The acid helps to break down all the carbonate and biological matter that accumulates on your equipment. All those little shells that like to stick to pumps will loosen up after a good 30 min soak in acid. I put my pumps in a 5 gallon bucket with the acid and let the pump run. Then I put it in a 5 gallon bucket of clean water and let it run another 30 mins. Then I scrub with a scouring pad.

Use both but not at the same time. The acid helps to break down all the carbonate and biological matter that accumulates on your equipment. All those little shells that like to stick to pumps will loosen up after a good 30 min soak in acid. I put my pumps in a 5 gallon bucket with the acid and let the pump run. Then I put it in a 5 gallon bucket of clean water and let it run another 30 mins. Then I scrub with a scouring pad.
Ah okay. I don't really get those snails growing. Just coralline typically. The bleach softens it up within a couple minutes. I soak about 20 at a time in a sink full around once a year.

Thanks guys. Just ordered some from Amazon that will arrive tomorrow for a weekend cleaning

Ah okay. I don't really get those snails growing. Just coralline typically. The bleach softens it up within a couple minutes. I soak about 20 at a time in a sink full around once a year.
Dang I don't even think I have 20 pumps :p

While there are many different compounds in chemistry with the word acid in their name, what we are talking about here are 2 major types of acids.
These major types are commonly referred to as either mineral acids and organic acids.
Mineral acids are water soluble and formed from reactions of inorganic minerals. Inorganic meaning does not contain carbon.
Organic acids may be either water soluble or water insoluble (i.e. oil soluble) and do contain carbon. Their properties and solubility depend on their structure, which we won't go into here.
Compounds containing carbon are what make up the field of organic chemistry, hence the term organic acids.
Muratic acid is a type of mineral acid, which is actually dilute hydrochloric acid, typically about 31.5%. This is also what your stomach acid is made of.
Mineral acids are typically MUCH stronger than organic acids. While we may think that's great, there are consequences that come with that. Commercial muratic also likely contains metals.
Mineral acids are also MUCH more hazardous to handle! We typically don't need that kind of strength in an acid for our use.
I would caution anyone thinking about using a mineral acid to get well trained and equipped with appropriate Personal Protection Equipment 'PPE' (gloves, goggles and possibly a respirator).
Also consider how you are going to dispose of the mineral acid after use. It may be illegal to pour it into a street sewer, stream, lake, etc. and will likely kill your lawn.
Two organic acids we are familiar with are vinegar (aka~ 5% acetic acid) and citric acid.
Vinegar, while available and cheap has one slight potential issue. Some adhesives have compounds like ethyl acetate in them, which is susceptible to vinegar causing it to soften.
Many of us have read about Vortech power head wet sides in particular losing integrity over time when cleaned in vinegar.
Citric acid does not produce that result and also has a major advantage in reef keeping. It has a high propensity to dissolve phosphate and calcium phosphate. It is also much safer than muratic.
My first choice for cleaning reef gear is citric acid. Before using previously used reef rock, I suggest soaking it in a 3% solution for several hours then rinsing well. You can dilute the leftover liquid 10:1 with water after use, and spread it on your lawn.
Reef rock will naturally form a layer of calcium phosphate in a reef system over time. You can't prevent it. It is a thermodynamically dependent reaction.
The citric acid bath will help dissolve that calcium phosphate layer and 'renew' the rock, minimizing or eliminating phosphate from leaching into the tank water, at least for a few years.
When using acids and diluting them, the percentage is always calculated based on mass (grams), So 100 grams of a 5% citric acid solution is made of 5 grams citric acid added to 95 grams of pure water.
When diluting acids ALWAYS add the acid gradually to the water, while gently stirring.
If diluting strong mineral acids the reaction with water can be highly exothermic and generate tremendous heat! This reaction is usually conducted in a laboratory setting, by trained individuals using an ice bath to minimize the heat evolved. Done quickly can result in boiling acid being sprayed into the air, or your face! Ask me how I know? (high school chemistry teacher accident).
Good luck & be careful!

FWIW,
I like to support small businesses whenever possible. Duda Diesel is owned by an engineer that began by making biodiesel. He found that he saved money buying chemicals in bulk and selling some to other like minded people. They are located in Alabama and usually deliver the next day, if ordered early in the day. Their prices are competitive with anyone, including Amazon.
Bezos has enough money, so please help support the little guy!

While there are many different compounds in chemistry with the word acid in their name, what we are talking about here are 2 major types of acids.
These major types are commonly referred to as either mineral acids and organic acids.
Mineral acids are water soluble and formed from reactions of inorganic minerals. Inorganic meaning does not contain carbon.
Organic acids may be either water soluble or water insoluble (i.e. oil soluble) and do contain carbon. Their properties and solubility depend on their structure, which we won't go into here.
Compounds containing carbon are what make up the field of organic chemistry, hence the term organic acids.
Muratic acid is a type of mineral acid, which is actually dilute hydrochloric acid, typically about 31.5%. This is also what your stomach acid is made of.
Mineral acids are typically MUCH stronger than organic acids. While we may think that's great, there are consequences that come with that. Commercial muratic also likely contains metals.
Mineral acids are also MUCH more hazardous to handle! We typically don't need that kind of strength in an acid for our use.
I would caution anyone thinking about using a mineral acid to get well trained and equipped with appropriate Personal Protection Equipment 'PPE' (gloves, goggles and possibly a respirator).
Also consider how you are going to dispose of the mineral acid after use. It may be illegal to pour it into a street sewer, stream, lake, etc. and will likely kill your lawn.
Two organic acids we are familiar with are vinegar (aka~ 5% acetic acid) and citric acid.
Vinegar, while available and cheap has one slight potential issue. Some adhesives have compounds like ethyl acetate in them, which is susceptible to vinegar causing it to soften.
Many of us have read about Vortech power head wet sides in particular losing integrity over time when cleaned in vinegar.
Citric acid does not produce that result and also has a major advantage in reef keeping. It has a high propensity to dissolve phosphate and calcium phosphate. It is also much safer than muratic.
My first choice for cleaning reef gear is citric acid. Before using previously used reef rock, I suggest soaking it in a 3% solution for several hours then rinsing well. You can dilute the leftover liquid 10:1 with water after use, and spread it on your lawn.
Reef rock will naturally form a layer of calcium phosphate in a reef system over time. You can't prevent it. It is a thermodynamically dependent reaction.
The citric acid bath will help dissolve that calcium phosphate layer and 'renew' the rock, minimizing or eliminating phosphate from leaching into the tank water, at least for a few years.
When using acids and diluting them, the percentage is always calculated based on mass (grams), So 5% citric acid solution is made of 5 grams citric acid added to 95 grams of pure water.
When diluting acids ALWAYS add the acid gradually to the water, while gently stirring.
If diluting strong mineral acids the reaction with water can be highly exothermic and generate tremendous heat! This reaction is usually conducted in a laboratory setting, by trained individuals using an ice bath to minimize the heat evolved. Done quickly can result in boiling acid being sprayed into the air, or your face! Ask me how I know? (high school chemistry teacher accident).
Good luck & be careful!
Couldn't have said it better.

I would add a couple of notes though.

Disposal of muriatic acid is not a huge deal. You neutralize it with baking soda and pour it down the storm drain. You end up with a solution of NaCl and Na2CO3 both of which are harmless.

Another thing to keep in mind. You really need to use muriatic acid in a very well ventilated room or ideally outside due to the fumes. As Icthyoid suggested a respirator is also a good idea. The fumes are hydrogen chloride and are quite strong and guess what, when they hit your eyes or your mucous membranes the hydrogen chloride dissolves into the water and becomes muriatic acid again! Now you have muriatic acid in your eyes, nose, throat, and lungs. Not a good time.

Take Icthyoid's advice and use citric acid. He is 100% right on.

fwiw,
HCL Molar mass: 36.46 g/mol
NaHCO3 Molar mass: 84.007 g/mol
So, while the balanced equation is 1:1 for neutralization, you will need 2.3 times as much sodium bicarbonate as HCL by mass to neutralize the hydrochloric acid

fwiw,
HCL Molar mass: 36.46 g/mol
NaHCO3 Molar mass: 84.007 g/mol
So, while the balanced equation is 1:1 for neutralization, you will need 2.3 times as much sodium bicarbonate as HCL by mass to neutralize the hydrochloric acid
Yep you do. ask me how I know :p

Luckily the HCl is not 100% and the baking soda is. This drastically reduces the amount you need. I made a 1:10 dilution of a gallon of muriatic acid and it took somewhere in the ballpark of 20 to 30 pounds of baking soda. I could do the math and get the exact number but I went well beyond neutralization just to be sure. We bought so much baking soda I think the clerk thought we were going to go how and make crack lol.

You aren't wrong though. I mainly just wanted to mention the fumes.

I cleaned swimming pools one summer growing up in Florida. One day we were cleaning a badly neglected pool, where the calcium build up had to be at least a 1/4 inch think on the gunnite pool walls. Being high school kids, we decided to pour pure muriatic straight from the jug, while we were down inside the almost empty pool. We made it out gagging for breath and coughing up blood. We managed to get a hose and spray each other down to stop our skin from burning. Never did that again!

I cleaned swimming pools one summer growing up in Florida. One day we were cleaning a badly neglected pool, where the calcium build up had to be at least a 1/4 inch think on the gunnite pool walls. Being high school kids, we decided to pour pure muriatic straight from the jug, while we were down inside the almost empty pool. We made it out gagging for breath and coughing up blood. We managed to get a hose and spray each other down to stop our skin from burning. Never did that again!
Dang man I am glad none of you suffered permanent damage. Working in labs I was exposed to just about every acid there was. For me the ones I hated the most were concentrated HCl and concentrated HNO3. I can't count how may times I was in a hurry and caught a faceful of fumes from one of them. Hacked and coughed the rest of the night.

Fuming sulfuric is the worst.
My brother cleaned out acid tanks at a phosphate plant one summer during college. He got burns so bad on his arms they finally told him he didn’t have to do it anymore. That was before OSHA.

Back