Citric acid

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
Anyone know a local place that sells citric acid?

Works much better than vinegar, I buy big bags from Amazon personally.

Inappropriate Reefer just did a YouTube going over how citric acid so much better for power heads - vinegar apparently wears them out a lot faster.

Vinegar is acetic acid, which may* act as a solvent with some adhesives, such as used in some power heads.

Using the citric acid is less likely to cause problems.

Fwiw,
I wonder if those having such problems with vinegar used it full strength and/or for extended periods of time? Just curious.

Just ordered a 50lb bucket from Duda Deisel. Thanks for that link @ichthyoid! Only $86 delivered to my door. A hell of a lot cheaper than any I've seen anywhere else.

I was just doing the math to figure out how much acid I would need to soak the dry rock I have. To make 50 gallons of water @ 5% takes a little over 21lbs of citric acid. With all the rock I'm going to do I'll probably need two 50lb buckets o_O

Not sure if it's worth it. I'm also not sure how fast it will react with the rock before it's neutralized.

*Edit* Well, since most of the rock has been in a tank already. It might be worth it as the cost of battling high PO4 for a year would be more time and energy than the Citric acid.

I was just doing the math to figure out how much acid I would need to soak the dry rock I have. To make 50 gallons of water @ 5% takes a little over 21lbs of citric acid. With all the rock I'm going to do I'll probably need two 50lb buckets o_O

Not sure if it's worth it. I'm also not sure how fast it will react with the rock before it's neutralized.

*Edit* Well, since most of the rock has been in a tank already. It might be worth it as the cost of battling high PO4 for a year would be more time and energy than the Citric acid.

You might try using a 2% solution of citric acid for 24 hours then rinse.
Then put a piece of the rock in DI water for a couple hours.
Then measure for phosphate.

Back