Clam and my Ts setup

jamos5790

Supporting
Reaction score
Could I have a clam in my T5 setup?
It includes 2 atinics and 1 10k and 1 18k light, the each have their own reflector and they are HO. This will be in a 75gal tank.

I have a purple maxima about 3" off the sand bed in my tank with 4x54 T5HO showing a nice growth line and good mantle extension, so it should be alright.

What kind of clam. Placement is everything. They don't like a ton of flow, love light, most need rocks to attach to....

Well Chris I don't really care the type just want one that has some colors in it. I seen one on liveaquaria that looked kinda nice. The name began with a S....that all I can remember .

Well I would go with maybe a lower light maxima of some sort. Out it on the rocks about mid level in the tank, and watch it. The problem I have had is them not wanting to attach to where I want them to because of too much flow in the tank.

How old is your tank again? They need VERY stable parameters.

It has been running for @15 months total....but the only thing on there is an eel and the CUC.

Well I say give it a shot. Try to find one about 5 inches or so. That way you don't need to feed it, and keep the alk, calcium up.

Jamos5790;324079 wrote: Well Chris I don't really care the type just want one that has some colors in it. I seen one on liveaquaria that looked kinda nice. The name began with a S....that all I can remember .

The clam you are talking about I believe is the Squamosa. I have one as well under T5's. He does quite well and seems happy. The Squamosa is one of the hardiest and easiest to raise under lower lighting conditions...not to be confused with low light. Some offer a nice coloring along the outside of their mantle and on the outside of it as well. There is a pic of one in the TOTM photos that were taken.

coolsurf;324128 wrote: The clam you are talking about I believe is the Squamosa. I have one as well under T5's. He does quite well and seems happy. <span style="color: black"><u>The Squamosa is one of the hardiest and easiest to raise under lower lighting conditions...not to be confused with low light</u></span>. Some offer a nice coloring along the outside of their mantle and on the outside of it as well. There is a pic of one in the TOTM photos that were taken.

+1. Clams NEED a lot of light. No two ways around it. There is noi such thing as a low light maxima clam. MAximas and croces will do poorly unless they are blasted with it. In my opinion, the best starter clam is a derasa, as they tolerate lower lighting levels betrter than the other species of clams. Be sure that you have a system for maintaining clacium and alkalinity, as they will suck it up.

Back