Clam growth pic.

jaustin

Market
Reaction score
Getting great growth from my Dereasa clam. Not much just yet from the new Crocea, but that sucker sure does have some good mantle extension.

003-2.jpg
alt="" />
004-2.jpg
alt="" />

001-3.jpg
alt="" />
002-1.jpg
alt="" />

Thanks for looking!
Jason

I started that clam out on the bottom (22" below the water) and moved it up to about 16" below the 400W MH and i haven't noticed any less mantle extension.

NICE pics.....

Question (a bit of a side step from your thread). I bought a ORA Maxima on July 4th. I just needed to get him over into the tank (was heading out to BBQ) and set him on a piece of tonga branch which it towards the top. I WANTED him on the bottom, for better viewing and as he grows, he'll have plenty of room. A week or so went by, and then I had my hands over in the tank.....BUT he had already attached himself.

And here is my question....

Is there anyway to safely remove him from his tonga branch for relocation? Or am I going to have to rearrange that side of the tank? (the branch is a bridge between pieces and I'm worried that if I started moving too much around, it will fold like a house of cards!)

Any thoughts or ideas? He is too pretty to be at the top where he cannot be properly viewed. AND....I definitely don't want to injure/kill him.

you can cut his bysel sp threads with a razor blade. Just be sure to cut them as close to the rock as you can. I had to do this to my crocea clam. Worked like a charm and the clam re attached the next day.

dawgdude;374235 wrote: Have you noticed more mantle extension with lower light? I moved my crocea up the rock work some and his mantle isnt nearly as large anymore. Im thinking I might move him back down.

Mantle "stretching" is not a good thing. Its a sign of underillumination. Croceas should be given the maximum light possible. Tridacnid clams do not photoinhibit.

Mine isn't going to get any more light. He's under a 400W XM 20K and VHO.

Back