Clam help needed!

maveri9720

Market
Reaction score
Last night, both my clams jumped from their respective rocks. So I put them back on them last night and one jumped again and the other one stayed.

The one that jumped again looks like he tore a good part of his byssal gland/foot and it was laying next to him on the sand. I took a couple pics to show what I mean. From what I have read, it's pretty fatal when the clams tear their foot/gland, b/c they can never re-attach anywhere and slowly whither away.

Is this the same situation, or is this just a small piece or what?

I am going to put him back on the rock and build up alittle rubble pile around him to help him stay put, but I would like to know what impact this tear will have on the clam.

Thanks.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
25532=1658-Clam 1.jpg
>
25532=1658-Clam 1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Clam 1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
25532=1659-Clam 2.jpg
>
25532=1659-Clam 2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Clam 2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Ouchie... I have a clam that went through something similiar although its not exactly on point : When I first got my maxima it had a partially torn foot, a portion a lil bit smaller than the chunk you have there was hanging by a thread. That clam did make it and is still thriving in my tank. I may be a lil too optomistic but I think yours will make it :).

It is not a torn foot. Clams secrete a threadlike substance to anchor themselves called byssal threads. This can be shed when the clam feels disturbed so tha clam can move. It is quite normal, and not an indication of health. Howevere, these clams are telling you they dont like something in the conditions where you've had them- maybe too much flow or light or something, but the clam was unghappy were you put it at first.

Put an old sea shell under and leave it on the sandbed..They are most happy there....

everytime I try and put on on the rocks, it never likes it and never opens up just right...sea shell on the sandbed.

Todd

Thanks guys, that's a big relief. This morning, I placed the clam back on his rock and moved him around on it alittle more to get him into a more secure and stable spot.

Both clams are open and doing well. So far, no movement by either one.

And they are just about on the sandbed already. I just placed two rocks on the sandbed and then put one on each.

I understand they move around b/c they don't like their environment.

We'll see how they hold up and if they move again, then I will try to find a better place for them.

Thanks for the reassurance and help all.

washowi wrote: Put an old sea shell under and leave it on the sandbed..They are most happy there....

everytime I try and put on on the rocks, it never likes it and never opens up just right...sea shell on the sandbed.

Todd

Well, it really depends on the type of clams. For example, croceas are ALWAYS found in the rocks in the wild. You will never see one in the sand. I recommend keeping croceas up high on the rocks as they are the most light loving clams, also. However, derasas are found on the sea floor, so they are at home in the sand.

Todd trick with the sea shell is good though, as it will make the clam feel secure and attached, and you dont have to tell the clam that the shell is moveable.

Again, the point to be considered is that clams need high intensity light. Such light is found higher in tanks.

and also dont place rocks against the clam as to where it would limit the opening of the shell.

I have 3 Croceas sitting happily in the sand bed for 3 years now...they are on big clam shells...so maybe they don't know the difference....But my light in the 90 is plenty for them down under.

The Derasa HATES the top of the reef......to I agree with ya there. He is happy in the sand.

dawg- I appreciate your disclaimer. Clams under PC's is possible, but frequently fails. Clams REQUIRE high light, and WILL fail without it- whether or not you add phyto, nutrient, real seawater- no matter what. Clams need light.
By "growing", what do you mean? How long has this person had this clam?

Again, not looking for trouble, but just trying to clear the air.

Lol DawgDude im going to have to get used to your new avatar. I was like who is that? I agree they can be under Pc's but most people fail and them end up with a beautiful dead clam. Maveri, I hope your clams make it, keep us posted!

Dawg, how long has your friend with the aquapod had these clams, which species (some can live under PCs) are they, and how much have they grown? I'm just personally curious.

Croceas have tender feet.
They live inside rocks , not "on" rocks in the wild.
The hole the calm bores out over time is silky smooth inside.
Imagine how rough the new footing is for a clam .
Spend five years walking around in bunny slippers on your feet , then walk outside your front door and onto the rough road in the street. OUCH!
When a clam needs to re attach , it usually needs to shed its old foot because the old foot has too few fresh byssal threads for a firm hold .
There is a good chance that your calm has not shed its foot in many years due to the fact that once a clam bores into a rock , it has no need to reattach or shed its foot.
This is the first time your clams have taken off its bunny slippers in years... then you place it on a rough rock!
At the calm wholesalers , they actually set the clams in their sides for a few days to let the tender foot heal before shipping.
Jeff CBA

I would assume they are gaping under that light. If they are surviving, they probably aren't happy and if the are gaping they will die a lot sooner.

My deresa has been happily sitting on a sandbed for 2 years. Not my sandbed, but a sandbed nonetheless. The recently aquired crocea is sitting on the sand and seems to be happy about it, but I am heading down to CBA to pick up cured shelf rock to sit him on this week just to be safe. I want my guys to be happy as a... well... clam.

I have my Maxima in the sand but my darn Maroons keep getting sand in it. It doesn't seem to be making it mad. It just closes and squirts it out with a jet of water.

Wild Croceas and Maxima clams bore into rocks in the wild.
Farmed clams are adapted to setting on cement raceways at the clam farms.
These clams have never experienced the polished smooth inside of a bored out rock like their wild kin. So they readily adapt to the rough live rock surfaces in your reef tank.

You will notice that wild clams usually don't have the ridges(scutes) and scales on their sides , because these features wear off while inside the rock.
the extraction process is stressful for the calm {another reason to buy farmed clams].
Almost 100 percent of Croceas on the market are wild collected [broken out of rocks].
Thus acclimation of wild clams and farmed calms to aquarium life differ due to the different background conditions each type of product experienced prior to your purchase.
Jeff CBA

Back