Clam kills Birdsnest

tanner86

Market
Reaction score
Monday night my black emerald crab knocked over the birdsnest onto the clam. No big deal, I thought. When I found it in the morning I picked up the coral and placed it back in the rock. Everything looked fine and the polyps, not fully expanding during the day, were out. About 10pm the coral started bleaching and by 2am the coral was gone. I figured the clam must be the culprit b/c everything else in the tank is doing great and coral bleaching complete in just a few hours.

I assume the clam excreted some type of toxin or irritant. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Sounds like Rock beats paper!

I know clams can store different types of toxin by ingestion but I don't know if they can use it as a defence or have toxins of their own. Interesting question! Sorry to hear about the birdsnest!

Thanks. This was one of my favorites. I love the growth pattern. I am currently looking for a new one.

Next time this happens, you can frag/break off of the diseased parts. If you can just save one healthy part, you can grow a new colony...

kappaknight;68421 wrote: Next time this happens, you can frag/break off of the diseased parts. If you can just save one healthy part, you can grow a new colony...

I almost did this last night, but I never thought it would completely bleach. I thought the irritated part would recover over time. Hard lesson learned.

Back