Clam question

claudiasmom

Market
Reaction score
Hi,
We're considering a smaller clam in the future, and I know that they "eat" a lot of calcium to grow.

Do they add a lot of bioload through waste as well?

Thanks!

Anything you put into a tank adds waste in some way or another....even rock. Although I don't think it's enough to worry...not like adding a large fish. Your main thing to worry about is lighting....T5 or MH is preferred...and yes a good eye on your CA and ALK.

T5 currently, but once I build a canopy a MH will be incorporated.

Oh, and Hi, Honey!

Hi boo bear ;) Oh wait....was that not directed at me? DOH! lol. T5's are fine for clams if you want to stay that route.

I've got a 5" derasa that's not draining my cal and alk. It's got a bunch of new growth too. I would think it would take a 10" or larger clam or many of these guys to drain the crap out of cal and alk, no more than an equal stony.

If you supp. with a reactor or kalk, it's much less of a hit than if you were to be dosing 2 part. Granted yes, when they are small it's not so bad.

I've had a Squamosa clam under 48watts of CF for months and hes doing wellin my nano. Maxima and Crocea need high light. Derasa and Squamosa do not.

I surprised no one mentioned that clams can actually help to lower nitrites as they use this as a food source.

If you choose a small clam, and have few other calcium loving inhabitants, you'll never notice anymore calcium depletion than usual.

Happy Reefing

You would need several 10,15+ clams to actually work as reducing nitrates....and at that rate it's really low. You should be focusing on macros and husbandry if nitrates is an issue. Clams "can" live under PC/CF's, sure, but will they thrive....most likely not. I've seen too many clams in my day die due to insufficient needs....but I care not to get into that.

glxtrix;354384 wrote: You would need several 10,15+ clams to actually work as reducing nitrates....and at that rate it's really low. You should be focusing on macros and husbandry if nitrates is an issue. Clams "can" live under PC/CF's, sure, but will they thrive....most likely not. I've seen too many clams in my day die due to insufficient needs....but I care not to get into that.

Whatever......

glxtrix;354384 wrote: You would need several 10,15+ clams to actually work as reducing nitrates....and at that rate it's really low. You should be focusing on macros and husbandry if nitrates is an issue. Clams "can" live under PC/CF's, sure, but will they thrive....most likely not. I've seen too many clams in my day die due to insufficient needs....but I care not to get into that.

If 10 to 15 clams reduce nitrites, one clam will as well, just on a smaller scale......

That statement was in retort to the bioload question, meaning the clam would not add suffeciently to the bioload. My apollogies for not spelling my meaning out.

No, to also clarify, to use clams as a method of reducing nitrites would be rediculous.

DERASA DO NOT REQUIRE HIGH LEVELS OF LIGHT, NEITHER DO SQUAMOSA. I've just googled the info to triple check, will share links if you'd like.

Easy on the caps, it's addicting. I'm good on the links, I know what the needs are. To each is their own on husbandry. Enjoy and happy reefing.

I've got a maxima and crocea, and they are fine under my new 175 watt 20k MH. I would suggest that.

Back