Clam question

ga_daisy

Market
Reaction score
Ok, so I bought this pretty little ORA Blue Maxima back on July 4th. I was in a hurry, trying to get out the door to get to the family cook out, and I just put him over in the DT towards the top one a nice large piece of tonga branch that is serving as a bridge between a couple of pieces of LR.

I don't want him there....BUT by the time I could get around to relocating him towards the bottom (for better viewing) he had attached himself to the tonga.

Is there anyway to remove him from the tonga or are my only options leaving him there or moving the entire piece of tonga (which will be a huge pain in the tush)?

You can take a razor to the foot and cut it off. It sounds harsh, and it probably isn't pleasant, but it's the only way I know. Just make sure you cut at the rock, as far away from the body as possible.

Harsh....uhh yeah! Sounds like surgery! Should I do this underwater or out? I can't believe this wouldn't off him for sure. Yeah, detached from said rock, but "swimmin' with the fishes!" (truth be told....I had came up with this methodology in my head.....but I never listen to the voices!)

Ok..so underwater or out?

Any other ideas/methods tried and true out there before I start the surgery?

Move the rock so it is deeper or just rotate it sideways and they will usually detach themselves to find a happier place. Mine moves on its own at least once a month. last time he moved it took a head first dive into my hammer coral. That was two weeks of recovery for the clam, but they are hardier than the books give them credit for.

THANKS....though moving the tonga may result in a house of cards effect.....I was concerned about the attempted surgical removal. (not to say that it wouldn't work, but I would concern myself with my skills as the surgeon!)

Honestly, I didn't realize that clams would move like an anenome does to find a better location in the aquarium.

Back