Clam went goo!

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
My beautiful little 1" Dersa went to goo overnight! Does anyone know why this could happen? Disease, parasite, extraterestrial goo gun? Params are fine and the other 2 clams are doing great in the same tank. My wife was quite sad, this little guy was her favorite in the Finnex. Thanks for looking and opinions!

my little one did overnight as well and the water was dead on. Only thing is, he fell a few times off his rock.

Do you have any whelk snails in your tank? Those are known for munching on a clam dinner. Also pygmy angels might have caused it if you have any of those...

Hmm... I hate when unexplained deaths happen. I would much rather know what is going on in my tank so that I can fix it. Was the derasa on the rocks or in the sand? Did you move it recently?

It was on the rocks and was in the same spot it had been since I put it in the tank. I agree...hate unexplained deaths!

I thought Derasas get their foot irritated on the rocks and that it needed a sandy substrate to be comfortable in? I could be totally wrong though...

Almost all small clams will use byssal threads to attach. Derasas are one of the hardiest, but they are still clams, and clams do that, beautiful flowers one day, compost the next. Smaller ones do have high mortality, and are more sensitive to swings in params, but thats all I can offer.

A lot of times a mysterious clam death has to do with a parasite, either internal or external. A whelk would have been my first guess.

How long have you had the clam? A lot of clams from Taiwan are lousy with parasites.

DannyBradley;237803 wrote: A lot of times a mysterious clam death has to do with a parasite, either internal or external. A whelk would have been my first guess.

How long have you had the clam? A lot of clams from Taiwan are lousy with parasites.
Are you sure your not thinking Vietnam? They are known for rancid clam disease.

I dont think it wa sa whelk, because a whelk wouldve probably eaten the whole thing, and not left much "goo".

jmaneyapanda;237807 wrote: Are you sure your not thinking Vietnam? They are known for rancid clam disease.

I dont think it wa sa whelk, because a whelk wouldve probably eaten the whole thing, and not left much "goo".

You are correct, I was thinking Taiwan... I am now thinking Vietnam.

Def not a whelk...at least I don't think so. If it were, I'm sure it would have gone after the larger crocea near the sandbed. At least the other clam is doing well, sorry to hear about the Derasa though.

How can you tell with a clam is it has that disease or is it better to buy one bigger or are there maricultered clams?

Back