clam???

pullins125

Market
Reaction score
i bought some live rock bout 2 weeks ago bc it just looked awesome. it also had a green circle on it and today i realized it was open a little bite and then closed. is it a clam on the live rock or something else?

It's most likely just a bivalve, kinda like a clam but not really. It's just a simple filter feeder.

possible it is a bivalve but cant tell for sure. ill get pics probably monday when i can borrrow a camera.

If you dont see any flesh coming out of the opening (mantel), it's just a typical bivalve.

I have two of those that came on my live rock. Some how they survived through the cyvle and know I spot feed them cyclopleze just to make sure they survive. They're really pretty too, there shells are a midnight blue color.

I also have one that made it through my first cycle and two tank moves.I didn't notice it until I saw it from the back of my tank.

glxtrix;241805 wrote: If you dont see any flesh coming out of the opening (mantel), it's just a typical bivalve.

Not to be mr. fancy pants here, but technically isnt a clam a bivalve gastropod as well?
:bubba:

A clam is a bivalve mollusk- Phylum mollusca and class bivalvia (or pelecypoda). :)

corvettecris;242061 wrote: Not to be mr. fancy pants here, but technically isnt a clam a bivalve gastropod as well?
:bubba:

Yes, if you want to get into technical terms. However there is a noticeable difference between a small clam and the bivalve I'm talking about. I don't know any specific name for it other than "bivalve".

yall have any pics of your clams so i can compare to see what mine is. is dont have no fresh on outside. just can barely see tongue on inside

Back