Clams reduce nitrates?!?

ericmcj31

Market
Reaction score
I've heard that clams reduce nitrates-is there any truth to this? If so, how?? It doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.

I have heard the same thing. Sorry no help from me, but I want to tag along and see if it is true how they do it.

yes it true, i am thinking about adding some to control nitrates in my NPS tank.

They do, but not to any significant degree. You're better off doing something else for nitrate control.

Remember that your calcium usage will be increased dramatically when you introduce a clam..be ready for that!

yeah--I hardly ever add calc.-and mine are doing great! I guess it wouldn't hurt to test my water-I haven't done that in a LONG time--guess I'm growing too lazy here lately-

Skriz;159649 wrote: They do, but not to any significant degree.
And there are sites that market "filter clams" for filtering nitrates. While they do just that, you'd have to have a HUGE clam bed to do any significant filtration over other methods. It's basically an analog to plants in a refugium: yes, they suck up nitrates, but nowhere nearly enough to make much of a dent in your tank unless you have a huge refugium. Macro just doesn't compete with micro.

The "filter clams" can also be cold water species which can introduce bacteria and parasites that can bloom out of control in a warm reef. Some people use them without problems (I wouldn't say "with success"), but it's a risk that could wipe your tank for little to no reward. Especially if you have any Tridacnid clams in your system.

Back