Clams

recncrew

Reaction score
my 50 gal has been running since early November. I am thinking about adding a clam but when is a good time?

Clams are tricky to keep overall.  I've found that the bigger the clam, the better chance of survival so I don't recommend buying a 2" clam.  Get the biggest one that will fit in your tank.  Also, many species of clams like "dirty" water meaning some nitrates.  They feed off of it.  You'll have to decide if your tank and you as a fishkeeper are ready.

I agree with PA up there.

The bigger the clam the better. That said they aren't HARD to keep, just require some basic stable parameters.  My advise would be, if this is a new tank, and especially if you're a new reefer (no offense) then put off buying a clam a while and get your hands wet with some corals first. Start with some zoas then move to SPS after you've got it all down. Once you are confident you can grow stuff and have stable parameters over a period of months then look into a clam.

now, if you've been in a while then by all means grab one:) they aren't super hard to keep, and can be really pretty. I've personally had the most luck with Maxima clams. I believe Derosa (if that is how you spell it) requires the least amount of light. Perhaps some more well versed in "clamage" will chime in on that.

Thank you. I have some zoas for about a month doing fine. I just read that a claim looks nice and can help filter. Just thinking that would actually help stability of the dirty water stuff. Not trying to avoid changes... just looking for good balance in little 50 gal

I'd get some more corals and make sure they're good before buying a clam, myself. Where are you keeping your Calcium and Alk?

Back