Clean up crew

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
I have a 125g tank. Currently have 5-6 snails and maybe 5-6 hermits tiny blue leg and red leg.
Running over to Atlanta Aquarium to get some more. What is the best bang for my buck? Diatom algae, some hair algae just growing on coral plugs and a few spots of lime green algae popping up on the rocks, not sure if it is a good algae or a bad algae. All of my water parameters are perfect except low pH
Thank you!!!

i like the mexican turbo snails have about 10 of them in my 150g as well as about 30 nassarius snails and various other astrea , cerith and nerite snails i dont really like hermits but thats a personal preference

Get a good variety! I usually lean towards Mexican turbos as they seem to not die as much as Astreas, though I usually keep a few Astreas in my tanks as well. I prefer blue legs hermits since they stay a little smaller, but also love the 'fancy' hermits like a Halloween or Scarlet or Neon Blue, but they are more ornamental IMO. For just eating algae its more economical to just get the blue legs. I like having nassarius snails for cleaning up the sand bed, but beware that if you feed any of your coral meaty foods they will steal the food. I just stand guard while my corals eat and remove the snails, but they move fast! Tiger Conchs are very cool and recommend getting one.

Turbo snail and blue legs. I used to not get turbos because they're like little bulldozers and knock things over, frags in particular. However, I was really having an issue in my coral QT with hair algae and I got 2 for the tank. I had no idea that they were so very effective. I was honestly shocked at how well they are keeping things clean in terms of hair algae.

Ok Atlanta aquarium was low stock on everything but got 4 Mexican turbos, 1 cleaner shrimp and a gorgeous hippo tang who will be spending at least a month in QT. Acclimation is almost done and gonna turn those Mexican snails loose!!

Back