Cleaner Shrimp

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
Just making sure I understand this:

Cleaner shrimp are <span style="color: black;"><u>only</u></em></span> for non-aggressive, reef-safe fish?

An aggressive guy (like a huma huma trigger) will NOT submit to a cleaner shrimp, even if it desperately needs cleaning, but will make the shrimp into a meal instead?

--------------------------

Bought one of these today. Had time to rush into the house to float the bag in the tank before leaving for the airport to pick up my son. While I was in the airport, my cellphone rang:

LOREN: "Oh my gosh, you should have seen what happened when I turned the shrimp loose! Your domino damsel went right........" [phone goes dead]

LINDA: "What? WHAT? [after all the recent discussion about the *devil fish* I just knew somehow that shrimp was in pieces. Hello??? HELLO???

This was like one of those wireless commercials with the dropped calls. Really funny.

Of course, when I finally got reconnected, Loren told me how the domino went right down to the cleaner shrimp, parked and got a full-service cleaning.

I've named the shrimp *Hoppy* ... after the car-wash places in Marietta.

2200978Shrimp.jpg
alt="" />

Hmmmm, Maybe if the cleaner shrimp was VERY dedicated, it would clean a lttle around the triggers mouth while being chomped on.

What is a cleaner shrimp to a trigger? About three bites? That would give a good cleaner shimp time to do some </em>cleaning, providing the trigger started at the butt end

I have to say I can only say this from what I have read, because I do not keep aggressive FOWLR systems, but there have been reports that if any shrimp COULD survive with a fish like a Trigger it would be a Cleaner. There have been pleanty of reports of it being done. I do not know that I would try it because it could become a $25 snack, but it CAN be done. The thought behind it is that the aggressive fish recognizes that the shrimp is there to clean and will call a truce for that purpose. It happens in the natural reefs all the time. So doing so would be at your own risk (well, yours and the shrimp's).

Cleaner Shrimp are not all reef safe. Mine eats Larger polyp acropora like a monster, such as Acropora Formosa. The little shrimp have killed $100 worth of corals before I caught him.

Okay, what I'm reading as I do web research is that you can't really say "a cleaner shrimp is a cleaner shrimp is a cleaner shrimp" since there are different species. It looks like a http://www.breedersregistry.org/Reprints/FAMA/v17_aug94/scarlet.htm">scarlet cleaner shrimp</a> (<---- see link) might be okay with triggerfish and lionfish and is also uninterested in corals.

[I]<span style="color: darkred;">[B]Scarlet Cleaner shrimp are compatible with most fishes, moray eels, and other Lysmata shrimp species. Predator fishes such as Triggerfish and Lionfish should not be tempted with the opportunity to add Scarlet Cleaner shrimp to their menu. Scarlet Cleaner shrimp do not attack corals; however, they show no restraint and walk on corals with their pointed little legs causing corals to quickly contract at the irritant. Cleaner shrimp may pilfer food from, and pick at, anemones and may not be ideal tankmates for anemones[/B]</span></em>

Don't know if the one I got (above) is scarlet like this one (below). Anyone have one of these?

[IMG]http://www.breedersregistry.org/Reprints/FAMA/v17_aug94/scarlet1.jpg alt="" />

I think Mafiaman used to keep cleaner shrimp in his predator tank... I saw puffers and triggers getting serviced. It may be a fluke, not sure...
I used to have one in my reef, but think my rather large coral banded shrimp tore him apart... I may consider getting rid of him (he really is quite large). Had him for last 3 years and molts after every water change...

A cleaner shrimp with a redtoothed triggerfish... living dangerously?

OSFLD-00003075-001.jpg
alt="" />
And with a yellow moray eel...

OSFLD-00000276-001.jpg
alt="" />

and a coral grouper...

OSFLD-00003069-001.jpg
alt="" />

http://www.davidfleetham.com/DavidFleethamHome.html">David Fleetham's </a>photography is incredible.

And you can get posters of his work at [IMG]http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?aid=856633845&item=2482098&GCID=C15100x056">Allposters.com</a>

Back