Cleaner Shrimp

catgirl29

Market
Reaction score
Do cleaner shrimp really actually do anything? I have one. He hangs out, scarfs some food, molts.

I believe their purpose is much like any other CUC....scavenge and eat left over food. Especially food that reaches the substrate. Mine were very active during feeding times.

I think their "purpose" is to clean fish of ectoparasites and dead skin. Like in nemo, the little french cleaner shrimp cleans the fish :D

Assuming you're talking about the skunk cleaner

ElitheLion;1066269 wrote: I think their "purpose" is to clean fish of ectoparasites and dead skin. Like in nemo, the little french cleaner shrimp cleans the fish :D

Assuming you're talking about the skunk cleaner
+1.

clean shrimps set up their own cleaning stations in the wild. if they don't do a good job at cleaning their "clients", their customers will stop going to them or worse take a chunk out of these shrimps

In a large enough mixed reef tank they MAY set up a cleaning station & clean your larger fish. I've seen some youtube videos of larger wrasses getting the service.

In mine though, the one shrimp I have just chases the clown goby all over the place before giving up & doing as you say - hanging out, scarfing and occasionally molting.

I think it just depends on the individual shrimp. I had one in my 30gal that all my fish went to. Pretty neat to watch

I have two in my DT. Besides, molting and scarfing up food, I have seen them at night actively cleaning my 5 tangs and foxface.

bones305;1066313 wrote: I stopped with cleaner shrimps. They never clean the fish and just scarf food and molt. I also hate when they take food from my anemones mouth.

Mine just did that the other day! Put a piece of shrimp in my Rbta mouth and as it was closing up on it here comes the cleaner shrimp who stole it away :lol2:

Mine has a cleaner station and the fish actually line up to see him. It's pretty entertaining to watch. Sometimes i'll let him clean my nails too.

Crew;1066328 wrote: Mine has a cleaner station and the fish actually line up to see him. It's pretty entertaining to watch. Sometimes i'll let him clean my nails too.

it feels kind of wierd but is cool at the same time when they clean your hand. My 8 year old daughter is always asking me if she can put her hands in the tank so it can clean it lol.

Back