Cleaning a used tank

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
So I am in the process of cleaning my 250 gallon tank. The tank has coralline algae on the overflows and the back glass. I have removed most of the coralline on the back glass, but there still is some spots. I have tried fresh water with distilled viniger and don't think it will be strong enough. What are some other options I could use that are reef safe and will not harm the tank later on when I set it up?

Why would you want to get rid of coraline......lol

Oh... So is it dead basically. Just use a razor if possible.

Tried using a glass scraper but need something to soften it and brake it down a little

Well hopefully someone can help you cause I don't really know anything else.... Goodluck

Try soaking some paper towels in vinegar and laying them on the spots of coraline for a while. I've never tried it, but have heard it works. I had a 125 that I filled with 6 gallons of vinegar and the rest water and let it sit for a week. Coraline came off very easy.

Do not dilute your vinegar. Just use straight on with a razor. (Make sure you keep the area wet for the razor, you do not razor glass that is dry) For pumps and stuff I just soak in it for a few minutes. The paper towel trick said earlier does work if you need more contact time. As an alternative, take the tank outside and use a razor under running hose water. It is a bit more labor intensive than vinegar but works too.

Xyzpdq0121 beat me to it. Straight vinegar will soften it. Soak the towels or paper towels and leave it for a few hours or overnight. Should come right off with a bit of elbow grease and a sharp scraper.

Jenn

ive also filled mine with water and vinegar and let it run for a day..that might not be an option on such a big tank tho..

i went through this same situation a week ago had to clean a tank i got a spray bottle and a scrub sponge from walmart added vinegar and water and sprayed let it soak and scrubbed it off took me a day or two but i got it looking respectable

2014_03_02_12_03_28.jpg
alt="" /></a>

2014_03_07_18_41_51.jpg
alt="" /></a>

i also used a paint scrapper to get the really tough spots

Eric B;942138 wrote: 10% muratic acid solution and it will wipe off no scraping needed.

+1. Just be sure to fill tank with water FIRST then add the muratic acid.

Back