Cleaning Chillers

4nreefer

Market
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just bought a used JBJ arctica 1/5 chiller and I'm trying to clean it up. How do you guys clean your chillers? I'm thinking of using air for the grills and maybe washing with soap if the air doesn't work. Can I wash the internal components with water or just air? Can I use venegar or citric acid to flush the system? There don't seem to be much info online besides run it reverse to flush it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t use soap, use vinegar since it’s reef safe. Let it sit for a day then use shop vacuum to drain it out. Easy breeze

I would flush the cooling loop for an hour with citric acid solution of 5%. Then rinse once or twice with fresh water & drain. Blow out between cooling fins with compressed air. Look for any filters & clean them individually, rinse, blow out & air dry.
Run to check for leaks prior to using.

I would flush the cooling loop for an hour with citric acid solution of 5%. Then rinse once or twice with fresh water & drain. Blow out between cooling fins with compressed air. Look for any filters & clean them individually, rinse, blow out & air dry.
Run to check for leaks prior to using.
Thanks. That was my fear, I wasn't sure if it was safe to use citric acid

Citric acid is a mild organic acid, not likely to cause significant harm to either metal or polymer parts. It is, however, an excellent chelant for both calcium & especially phosphate.

Citric acid is a mild organic acid, not likely to cause significant harm to either metal or polymer parts. It is, however, an excellent chelant for both calcium & especially phosphate.
Perfect, I kinda prefer citric acid cos I heard it's stronger than venegar. I was just scared not to damage anything as I've never used it before. Thanks.

Be sure to mix the correct amount.

Rinse multiple times with fresh water when done, then drain.

Ex:
50 grams of citric acid added to 950 ml. (or grams) of water is a 5% solution.

If the condensing coil is packed with dirt you can use this to clean it.

AC-Safe Air Conditioner Foaming Coil Cleaner

Just fully disassemble and remove the electronic components. Then clean it outside and rinse with water. I've done this on a few chillers. Once it's cleaned and dry, flush the internals of the system, in reverse flow, with no more than 5% citric acid or vinegar and water.

You'll have it running like new when done.

Be sure to mix the correct amount.

Rinse multiple times with fresh water when done, then drain.

Ex:
50 grams of citric acid added to 950 ml. (or grams) of water is a 5% solution.
Awesome... that definitely cleared things up, everywhere I looked said use 5% citric acid but I wasn't sure what 5% was. Thanks a lot.

If the condensing coil is packed with dirt you can use this to clean it.

AC-Safe Air Conditioner Foaming Coil Cleaner

Just fully disassemble and remove the electronic components. Then clean it outside and rinse with water. I've done this on a few chillers. Once it's cleaned and dry, flush the internals of the system, in reverse flow, with no more than 5% citric acid or vinegar and water.

You'll have it running like new when done.
Thanks, the inside does have little specs of rust so I'm definitely gonna use that. Thanks

Back