Cleaning equipment SOP

awodzenski

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone does when they have equipment from a tank that may have been contaminated with a these or unwanted critters.

I have a freshwater tank that just crashed it looks like the fish got some sort of disease and everything died I'm packing up the tank and wanted to use some of the pumps in my saltwater tank and I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean them I'm soaking them for about 2 hours and vinegar scrubbing them off and then running them with bleach water for 24 hours to try to kill off anything remaining that might be alive and wanted to see what everybody else did whenever they are cleaning equipment.

That should do it.
Be sure to rinse/run everything in fresh water with dechlorinator added, after bleaching.
Also, fwiw, some devices may be built using polymers, rubber or adhesives which may not be resistant to either the vinegar or bleach.
I would limit the chemical exposure time to maybe an hour, or even less. The bleach should kill any pathogens within 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have any recommendations on getting the algae out of a skimmer? I can't get a brush in there too clean it out

Do you have any recommendations on getting the algae out of a skimmer? I can't get a brush in there too clean it out
Hot water and vinegar should get it out, put it in a rubbeemaid and let it run all night

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

+1 to vinegar, because it's acidic it does a great job at cleaning without leaving behind any potentially harmful residues

Back