Cleaning filter Socks, whats the best method?

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
Just as the title says, I had the wife clean the first sock.... well I say clean and I mean I handed it over to her and walked away, she immediately threw it in the trash.:boo:

So, whats the best way to clean these things? read somewhere wash with bleach and hang dry... apprehensive on that one.

I've got 2 filter sock holders and run 4 socks at a time (the large square sock with a typical round sock inside), I've got a bunch of socks.
When I take off the dirty socks I toss them in a 5 gallon bucket that has a screw on lid. When I see I'm getting low on clean socks, I put them all in the washers on hot/warm, low spin, extra rinse cycle (love my washing machine). I fill up the bleach tray, add another cup or so of bleach to the wet socks , fill the detergent cup with "natural" laundry detergent and press start! They come out white as snow but yes, you do have to allow the bleach residue to disapate.
Even with the extra rinse I can still smell bleach. In the summer I dry them out on the patio table in the sun, in winter or wet weather I dry them in the garage on my work bench (lined with a cheap plastic table cloth). Sometimes I'll flip them over to help them dry completely.
Then I use a huge clip and clip a 1/2 dozen together per clip and store them in the fish closet in one of those material shelves that hang from the coat hanger rod, love those things :)

I've started using hydrogen peroxide, did some research and it seemed like a better alternative to bleach, I just soak my filter socks in a 5g bucket over night with the peroxide and run in the washer with out any detergent.

i just run mine in the washing machine with hot water seems to do the trick

Wait until I get a collection of dirty ones and then run them in the washing machine with hot water and some bleach then let them air dry.

Fuddruckers;1040540 wrote: I've started using hydrogen peroxide, did some research and it seemed like a better alternative to bleach, I just soak my filter socks in a 5g bucket over night with the peroxide and run in the washer with out any detergent.

Im liking this alternative

I don't know if its right or wrong, I hand wash mine inside and out with hot water till they rinse clean.
I'm scared to use any chemical.

barry_keith;1040549 wrote: I got tired of constantly washing socks. I bought mesh socks and stuff them with filter floss. When they're dirty I'll pull out the old floss and stuff new it in. Cheap and easy.

Where do you get your mesh socks? Would like to try this?

Fuddruckers;1040540 wrote: I've started using hydrogen peroxide, did some research and it seemed like a better alternative to bleach, I just soak my filter socks in a 5g bucket over night with the peroxide and run in the washer with out any detergent.

Seems like an awful lot of peroxide. Do you make a solution or 100%

john_shay;1040566 wrote: Where do you get your mesh socks? Would like to try this?
+1 on the mesh socks. Where did you get them? Do the mesh socks come in different sizes?

Wannabee

We bleach all our socks...

Dash of bleach, fill the bucket up with some water... let it sit over night. Spray it off the next day. Dash of Prime, (Or any chlorine water conditioner) fill the buck up with some more water... let it sit over night again. Ready to go the next day after a quick rinse.

This is how we wash/clean all our service account socks. Prime gets rid of the bleach usually within 30+ sec but we leave it sit over night. For this method to work best it is good to have 2 sets. That way you can always have socks running on your system while the dirty ones are being cleaned.

Jakub

Thanks all for the responses, makes me feel better about the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barry_keith;1040586 wrote: I found the mesh socks at BRS. I think they have two different, micron, sizes. I'm sure other places have them too.
The filter floss comes from WalMart in the fabric section.

Cool. I saw the BRS ones. May switch over. I need to start thinking more like you. Never would have looked for filter floss @ walmart

I take them out and never put them back. Just saying

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Throw in the wash machine with no soap. Works well

Hmmm... Do you do these things every time? I just take them outside and hose them off well, then stick them back in. I've been using the same sock for six months.

I also use the hydrogen peroxide method when I am using socks but recently I have been running sockless. Results have been good, seeing better PE and the change is water clarity is minimal.

Even though it's a little more work, I use the felt filter bags.

I found that McMaster-Carr (locally) has great pricing and delivers either same day or next day. They also have quite a few different micron sizes.

Link to their filter bags. Both mesh and felt (make sure you order the plastic and not the metal retaining ring)

I may be the only one. But I pressure wash mine. I keep three sets so I have to pressure wash maybe once a month. I'm concerned with the bleach getting out all the sediment so I know the pressure washer will blast it all out and I've been using these same socks for years. Haven't seen any damage. They come out super white.

Reef Insane;1040734 wrote: I may be the only one. But I pressure wash mine. I keep three sets so I have to pressure wash maybe once a month. I'm concerned with the bleach getting out all the sediment so I know the pressure washer will blast it all out and I've been using these same socks for years. Haven't seen any damage. They come out super white.

Great idea!

Back