Cleaning old rock

walton

Supporting
Reaction score
I have some rock that was in my old tank that I want to clean and use in my new tank. It has been sitting for a year or so out in the elements and it is in need of serious cleaning. What would be the best way to clean it and get it ready to go into a new tank?

How long would I soak it, and what should the water to acid ration be?

If the rock has been sitting out in the sun for a long time everything live is dead.
I have used several processes through the years, Muric Acid as well but only on live rock.
If you choose to use the acid be extremely careful do it outside with gloves and facemask and dilute acid 50-50 with water. Then you would still need to go through the process below!

However, your rock (if it was sitting in the sun) doesn't need an acid bath just a good cleaning to get all of the dead out of the rock.

Put it in a large tub or bucket with tapwater and strong power heads. Let is stir for several days, changing water out daily. After 3/4 days of using tap water, use the same process with RO water..
IMHO and (and the old timer who was my mentor, GT) your rock will be good to go.
Worked perfect for me.

GL

Thank you, it is dead for sure so I will use your second method of cleaning.

Camellia;1111458 wrote: If the rock has been sitting out in the sun for a long time everything live is dead.
I have used several processes through the years, Muric Acid as well but only on live rock.
If you choose to use the acid be extremely careful do it outside with gloves and facemask and dilute acid 50-50 with water. Then you would still need to go through the process below!

However, your rock (if it was sitting in the sun) doesn't need an acid bath just a good cleaning to get all of the dead out of the rock.

Put it in a large tub or bucket with tapwater and strong power heads. Let is stir for several days, changing water out daily. After 3/4 days of using tap water, use the same process with RO water..
IMHO and (and the old timer who was my mentor, GT) your rock will be good to go.
Worked perfect for me.

GL

Does this help clear out any phosphate that may be bound to the rock?

I acid etched my pukani rock when I stared this time last year. It does a good job but I would do something more like 15 to 25% acid to water. I would still do it again but this time I would soak it good a couple times in a sodium precarbonate and water solution 1st. Sodium precarbonate is the same stuff as oxyclean without any other soaps or additives. When mixes with water it makes h2o2 or hydrogen peroxide. I use it to clean my filter socks and it does a better job than bleach because it actually breaks down the organics instead of just bleaching them white. It will do the same to the rock. You can get the sodium precarbonate on Amazon pretty cheaply. 5lbs will last quite a while.

If it has been outside for a year, I'd just soak it in a 1:10 bleach solution for a day or two and then pressure rinse it. Followed by a day or two soak in dechlor treated tap water and I'd think it would be fine. I do tend to err on the side of simple though.

I'd just hose it down, scrub off any crusted on gunk, and re-seed it.

IMO all that acid stuff is overkill and kind of not eco-friendly.

I rehabbed TONS of live rock (literallly tons) and never used bleach or acid.

Jenn

Back