Cleaning out sump.

anthony

Market
Reaction score
Just took my sump completely out and gave it a good rinse in the tub. I had a lot of debris and rotten food from over feeding and not shutting of return pumps before feeding. I figure I will lose some good bacteria and critters but getting rid of all the bad stuff might be worth it. Anyone else ever do this? Did it turn out well?

The bacteria should all be in the rock. What you lost is all probably a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bacteria should all be in the rock. What you lost is all probably a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was hoping so.. Ben having a reoccurring problem with dinos or red slime. So I was thinking it might be caused by the sludge in bottom of sump. Thinking nitrates and phosphate might be coming from it

I've never taken it all of the way out and washed it but I do vacuum the whole thing twice a year once the detritus builds up to an unsightly level. And I run a filter sock so the larger particles are removed mechanically. What's left for me to clean up consists of tube worms skeletons and super fine foul smelling "mud"

This is the first time i've has a sump, and have noticed what looks to be hair algae (green) growing in the refugium. I've been wondering what is the best way to clean all of that out, if I need to.

how much, what are you lighting your sump with, do you have anything else growing in the refugium (chaeto or anything), how old is the tank, do you have algae growing in the main tank?

Also - what are you measuring NO3 & PO4 at ?

Well I do have another red growth, ill post a new thread and add more info on it... don't want to hijack anthony's thread.

Thanks for the help imm1967!!! Let me figure out how to get the pics from my phone and ill post in a few minutes.

post the photos you have - plenty of people here that can offer help & suggestions.

You can post directly from your phone - click the "Attach Files" button.

I use a shop vac twice a year to vacuum out the sump area of detritus.

Back