cleaning skimmer pump

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
My skimmer pump stopped working so I did the whole soak it in vinegar thing and it worked for about twenty minutes and ten stopped agian.....is there any other suggested way of cleaning these things.....or might it be time for a new pump?

thanks.

A couple things. Mine stopped the other day and I cleaned it along with the magnet. Make sure you clean the housing where the magnet resides. In mine, I noticed the magnet was split and found out it was due to overheating usually from a lack of water. I bought mine used so I am not sure it had been run dry or what. With the split magnet, it caused the housing to get scared causing lots of bubbles and got worse. I could have replaced the magnet but a new pump was only a few dollars more so I did the new pump and it works better. Mine was a turbofloater multi 100. Like the skimmer. Bottom line check the magnet and blades on the magnet very closely along with the housing. Probably where you are going to find the problem.

Joe

take it apart and make sure all the calcium deposits are fully off. Sitting in a full distilled white vinegar bath will help with this. Take out the magnet and check as described above and you should be good. If not...new pump time :p

If you don't mind working with a caustic substance, I've found a solution of 10% muratic acid to do wonders on any item that has a build up of calcium deposits on it. Make sure the magnet spins freely on the ceramic shaft. Many times the calcium build up will cause the shaft to bind the impeller.

Did you run it while it was in the vinegar solution? I would probably let the sucker run in it for a while. It won't work as well as Mikes mixture, but vinegar will eventually eat out the calcium.

no I just soaked it in there and yeah it stopped running completely. Ill blame this mostly on myself as I havent cleaned it in about 8-9 months.

I'll try running it in the vinegar, if not, where do you get muratic acid?

cam is gving good advice. If you run it in the vinegar solution for 20-30 minutes it will be clean.

Joe

Back