Cleaning up the corner beads

90galguy

Market
Reaction score
How would one go about cleaning up the corner beads of silicone in an aquarium? This one doesn't leak but the beads are pretty beat up and I'd like to try and make them a little more presentable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't think you'll like the answer to that one. I don't know of a good way other than taking ALL of the old silicone off and putting in fresh.

Would that require taking the sides of the tank apart or just trimming back the excess back down to the joints?

90galguy;811182 wrote: Would that require taking the sides of the tank apart or just trimming back the excess back down to the joints?

I don't think I'd separate the sides. I'd just clean the corners and reseal. I've done a few tanks this way and never had one leak. Others may disagree and say that as long as you're that far in to it, redo it all.

yup just grab a few fresh razor blades and clean off all the old silicon(not whats between the glass) then clean it really well with alcohol and put in a new bead of silicon.

if you want really pretty lines you can tape it off and then remove the tape after you press the silicon in.

Im about to reseal my two 40g frag tanks like that because they have been beat up pretty bad after years of scraping. I also resealed my 200g sump that way twice. Once when I got it and again after I screwed it up cleaning it with a razor blade.

what he said. old silicone does not stick real good to new silcone. so a patch over time will come off. but if you only cut the inside stuff off and redo all of it then you are good.

get a caulking tube of silicon it's a lot cheaper and you can pick it up at mcmaster carr on fulton ind. till 6pm today or 1pm on sat.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rtv-sealants/=ho8qzs"><span style="color: #22229c">http://www.mcmaster.com/#rtv-sealants/=ho8qzs</span></a>

GE108
10.1-oz. Cartridge
Translucent
7545A472

[QUOTE=][B]EnderG60;811185 wrote:[/B] yup just grab a few fresh razor blades and clean off all the old silicon(not whats between the glass) then clean it really well with alcohol and put in a new bead of silicon.

if you want really pretty lines you can tape it off and then remove the tape after you press the silicon in.

Im about to reseal my two 40g frag tanks like that because they have been beat up pretty bad after years of scraping. I also resealed my 200g sump that way twice. Once when I got it and again after I screwed it up cleaning it with a razor blade.[/QUOTE]

its actually very easy. Removing the old stuff is a bit of a pain since you must make sure you get it all off, but after that its a breeze.

Small tip, dipping your finger in soapy water before you mush the bead into the corner makes it come out very nice and helps keep the silicon from sticking to your finger so you keep most of it in the joint.

Yes but cost a bunch. They have hey small tube marked for fish tanks and you will need three or four.

Edit: Yes but cost a bunch. They have hey small tube marked for fish tanks and you will need three or four.

My experience is that some is aquarium safe and some is not. Read the label carefully.

The stuff in the chalking section (at my store) has a mold inhibitor added to it. It was label 100% silicone but then under closer scrutiny it had the inhibitor added as well. They do sell an aquarium safe version that I replaced the bad stuff with.The safe stuff was located ( was again every store is a little different) by the acrylic supplies. It was about $7 a tube.

Do a search of this site, a few members have had problems with the mold inhibitor, I know I did.

If you want to go a safer route check out an LFS or sponser- they kinda take the guess work out of it for you.

Edit: The guy from Melev's reef had some info on it in his presentation at the Feb Frag Meet.
It might be listed on his site.

I'm in the process of pulling out all the silicone on my 37 and need to see what's available as a cleaner. Found out the previous owner used CLR to remove the buildup prior to me buying it. Any thoughts on what I can use and what I need to do if anything about the previous use of the CLR.

ge silicone I is "supposed" to be safe. I used it on my old sump. worked great for 2+ years

I did use rubbing alcohol and it came out great! It even holds water!
816895=41241-uploadfromtaptalk1354313183372.jpg
>
816895=41241-uploadfromtaptalk1354313183372.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1354313183372.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Back