Cleaning!

waynehallman

Market
Reaction score
Okay I have gotten a 20 long, and was going to make this my sons tank. It is for his snow flake eel. The glass top is a must with this thing, but it is dirty with white scale. So far cleaning attemps are a no go. Anyone know how to get them clean it is glass so got to be a way to get it clean???
Thanks

20 gallon just pour in about half a gallon and see if it works. theres nothing in the tank right

of vinegar the stronger the better if you can stand it lol but also add water untill your comfy with the mix there is no real ratio, some may argue that

Oh yes, please with nothing in the tank. Smallblocks ratio sounds about right, let it soak for a few and it should scrub off alot easier

its really amazing how good it works. I was like whoa when i tried it the first time. I tried bleach first it didnt fo anything to it. Then i was informed on the ole vinegar, it works miracles, also its great for cleaning equipment like powerheads and such

I read somewhere that 4:1 is about right... but I've never tried it myself.

4 parts water to 1 part vinegar that is...

If it truly is a mineral deposit, vinegar or even a safety razor should get it off. If it doesn't, then the glass is probably etched from use and there is not much to do short of replacing it. This happens in freshwater tanks as well all the time. You can reuse the hinge/back portion and just get a glass shop to cut you replacement pieces. But a replacement top is pretty cheap as well.

Calcium lime rust (CLR) works effectively as well. Just rinse really well. You said it was the lid right. Plain ole white distilled vinegar works well but is a little slow. If you can get muric acid, it's like vinegar on steroids.

I am cleaning a new (used) sump. I dumped in one gallon of white vinegar to 45 gallons of water. Didn't know how long it would take, but after two hours I can rub off the white scale with my fingers.

Back