Close call

jmaneyapanda

Sponsor
Reaction score
I was just speaking to USFWS agent, and he told me of a pretty close call that recently occurred for this hobby. Apparently, the kingdom of Tonga had refused to comply with CITES regulations, and as a result, all Tongan coral, rock, and clam shipments were suspended, with the threat of permanent ban. Only recently, did Tonga comply with the requirements, and importation was allowed again. From what I hear also, AUstralian corals are also gonna go (or have gone) under the same restrictions. Scary stuff.

A couple of weeks ago, the word was that they didn't complete the required CITES docs in time and that all shipments would be suspended until the docs were turned in and then reviewed by CITES.

Skriz;178448 wrote: A couple of weeks ago, the word was that they didn't complete the required CITES docs in time and that all shipments would be suspended until the docs were turned in and then reviewed by CITES.

Yeah, they did that, and USFWS has recently permitted shipments again. USFWS enforces CITES law (amongst others).

jade76;178476 wrote: what do the said "regulations" imply? just out of curiosity.
That is a spicy meatball. I will simplify it a lot, because it is not very cut and dry. Essentially, CITES controls endangered species, and many hard corals fall onto this list. CITES provides requirements for international trade. The Kingdom of Tonga has been going through a terrible civil uproar, so the requiremnets were essentially put on the back burner by the Tongan government (or what was left of it). Certain things needed to be clarified, stipulated, and assured (such as collection practices, limits, etc.). Howevere, Since the Tongan government didn't care to provide this documentation, the US was one of teh first to say, "If you aint gonna follow the rules, you can't do business with us". Hence the embargo. Once the governmnet realized that they would lose a HUGE part of their economy by this, they rushed the documents to The Hague, for review. CITES endorsed them, and the USFWS lifted the embargo. It wa quite possible, though that the CITES committee could'ce simply said "no", and then there would be no rock, corals, clams from Tonga.

The agent I was speaking to said there was a similar thing going on with Australian stony corals, so hopefully that wont sting us.

Regarding Ricordia, I would be very interetsed to hear about that. There already is currently VERY STRICT legislation on collection of stonies from the caribbean- in that it is illegal without the permits (which really no one can get). Soft corals and gorgonians can be collected, but (from what I understand), you can take no more than 1 square of rock with any particular soft coral. If this is changing, I would be very curious to see why and what the laws now are.

Thanks jer...or shall I say dude. Give us the coral lebowski!! lol j/k ..I love the avatar n such.

Barbara;178475 wrote: Linda and I were at Cap Bay and Bobby told us that Ricordias were being banned too from being shipped from Florida and some other place too. He said the price of Rics was going to go through the roof!

I thought they were thru the roof allready???

jade76;178494 wrote: Thanks jer...or shall I say dude. Give us the coral lebowski!! lol j/k ..I love the avatar n such.

Quite possibly the best film ever created by humans. I think it was just a documentary on Jeff Bridges, though. He is always high.

jmaneyapanda;178501 wrote: Quite possibly the best film ever created by humans. I think it was just a documentary on Jeff Bridges, though. He is always high.
+1. The scene were Walter and the Dude are spreading Donny's ashes at the beach is one of the best ever.

LiveRock27;178564 wrote: +1. The scene were Walter and the Dude are spreading Donny's ashes at the beach is one of the best ever.

I have to say, I love the nihilists, with their ferret on a leash. Flea should act more. The corvette scene was awesome too.

Barbara;180029 wrote: Okay, pardon the ignorance, but I have to ask: What movie are you guys talking about? I don't think I've seen it.

Thank you Barbara...I'm confused too! :confused2:

Barbara;180029 wrote: Okay, pardon the ignorance, but I have to ask: What movie are you guys talking about? I don't think I've seen it.

<u>BLASPHEMY!!!</u>

jtshack;180067 wrote: Sooooooo... ... hmmm ... ...I'm assuming this is something we should make the time to watch?

well, only if you like stupid dude humor. You'll either love it, or hate it. I guarantee it!

Barbara;180120 wrote: I think I have seen it. Isn't that the one where the brother dies and the other brother totes the ashes all over creation? I think that's the theme you guys were referencing, but I didn't remember the lines, and I couldn't remember the name of the flick. If that's the same one, it was a decent movie.

<u>BLASPHEMOUS BLASPHEMY!</u> No, this movie is about bowling, kidnapping, stupidity, and white russians. You'll just ahve to rent it, and either thank me, or hate me.

Pssshhhh. I've accepted the fact that I will take a pen to the throat from some ARC member at some point, so I no longer worry about people hating me.

Besides, if you only hate me because of a movie, I consider that a victory.

I made the mistake of asking my hubby about it...now he wants to rent it this weekend too. Says it's a good movie and I'll like it.

I'll post back after we watch it to inform Jeremy if I'm thanking him or hating him!! :D

Back