Closed Loop Survey

george

Market
Reaction score
For those that have a closed loop, I ask a quick survey because I'm really eying this after my latest flow pump issue:

Tank size?

GPH on the loop?

Outlets?

Drilled or over the top?

Any other flow devices (not counting sump return)?

Any current devices such as a SCWD or oscillators?

Do you have it on a timer so that it turns off at any time during the day (not counting feeding)?

What, if anything, would you have done differently if you did it again?

Those of us in the planning/debating stage of one of these thank you for your help.

Im about to start installing and laying out my closed loop on my 500 gallon.I plan on using a Dart pump,an om4 way and four 1" returns on the top of the tank on all four corners.Im going to be using 2- 1.5" drains in the back of the tank to feed the closed loop,with strainers on the inside to protect the fish from any huge hickey's. Im going to be using 1" spaflex on the returns and jut regular pvc 45's on the end of the return's going down into the tank,or locline if the 45's dont work out.

Almost same as above, but my 200g is drilled for the CL and outputs are at the front and back bottom corners pointing in and upward in the front, and down under the rocks in the back (to keep detritus from settling). Plumbed through an OM 4-Way with one 1.5" intake (Tee'd inside the tank) and 4 1" returns (hard PVC and Spa-flex), using 1" OM directional nozzles for the returns inside the tank. I've only done one freshwater test so far, but I'm extremely pleased with the resulting flow, and am thinking of severely downsizing my return pump and letting the Dart on the CL do most of the circulation (currently the return pump from the sump is also a Dart)

Tank size?
55Gal

GPH on the loop?
Well I did a Mag 9.5 and was too weak for the 6 outlets that I wanted, I tried a 2400GPH pump and was too much even for 6 outlets and an added spray bar, I am going to settle on something in the 1200-1800GPH range.

Outlets?
6 (One down the back to blow across the back glass and sandbed, 1 on the left side facing longways with they hydor addition, one on the front left hnd side, one in the middle half way down the center brace, one on the on the front right side and one on the right side facing longways with a hydor addition.)

Drilled or over the top?
OTT

Any other flow devices (not counting sump return)?
Nope just the return.

Any current devices such as a SCWD or oscillators?
I am adding two Hydors Rotating additions to two of the outlets just to give varied motion, more for look then for function.

Do you have it on a timer so that it turns off at any time during the day (not counting feeding)?
Nope, not even at feeding... Swim for your meal fish, I SAID SWIM!!!!

What, if anything, would you have done differently if you did it again?
I tried to plumb it first with PVC and that did not work too well for me. I am a measure once and cut twice type person. I utilized vinyl tubing fromt he pump to the OTT part of the loop and then 3/4" PVC the rest of the way. The outlets are 1/2". Oh ya, plump in a priming tube to save yourself some trouble down the line!

This is planned (as in sitting in my garage waiting for assembly)

Tank size? 120g

GPH on the loop? Sequence Dart around 3400gph

Outlets? 6

Drilled or over the top? Over the top, but could possibly do drilled if it doesn't work.

Any other flow devices (not counting sump return)? Once installed none other than a canister running carbon and GFO.

Any current devices such as a SCWD or oscillators? Upgrade to Oceans Motions 4 way eventually.

Do you have it on a timer so that it turns off at any time during the day (not counting feeding)? Nope, but could with my RK2

What, if anything, would you have done differently if you did it again? NA

15g tank with a SCWD with a Quiet one 4000. 3/4 line all over with 6 outputs and its all over the top. The pump is rated at 1017gph but with the 90 deg. elbows I'ld say its pushin around 600-700. No other flow in tank for the exception of the AC500 thats been converted into a fuge. I have it running 24/7. Anything different......I wouldnt have started with a MAG pump :p I broke too many covers while servicing the pump. Also make sure you use union joints (if thats the correct name) so you can remove the pump without any issues to clean it.

Tank size? 120g

GPH on the loop? Dart pump rated at 3600gph

Outlets? 4 total

Drilled or over the top? Both. Two Intakes (1.5 inch BHs) were drilled. I also drilled only two of the four returns. The last two returns go over the top because I wanted them at the front top corners (right and left) of the tank.

Any other flow devices (not counting sump return)? Nope just the Dart plus the return pump ... nothing else. I like a "clean" look in the tank.

Any current devices such as a SCWD or oscillators? Nope. I would like to run a Wavy Sea or Sea Swirl type device on the return thought. Maybe someday I could add it. Just dont want to spend the $$$

Do you have it on a timer so that it turns off at any time during the day (not counting feeding)? My Dart is not on a timer. It runs 24/7

What, if anything, would you have done differently if you did it again? Nothing. I like the way it is. Perhaps the location of the Oceans Motions 4 Way would be better mounted above and behind the tank instead of down in the sump area. Just to give me more room. I like how Sammy's 4 Way install looks.

:) :) :) :)

Looking forward to setting my CL up... right after it's drilled... right, JOMT? :up:

Anyhow...

Tank size? 65g

GPH on the loop? 2000-2200gph post headloss

Outlets? 8/6 (8 total, 2 capped but available just in case, so 6 in use)

Drilled or over the top? Going to be drilled

Any other flow devices (not counting sump return)? Mag 9.5 return, +/- 700 gph after Hloss

Any current devices such as a SCWD or oscillators? nope

Do you have it on a timer so that it turns off at any time during the day (not counting feeding)? nope

What, if anything, would you have done differently if you did it again? Well, maybe if the tank cracks... ;), I'll know if I regret anything after i have the system in place, hopefully not...

Back