Closed Loop System

dmkahlan

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking to add a closed loop system to my tank. I currently have a Mag7 for my return and I have a Mag18 that I am going to use for my closed loop. I want to use a spray bar unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Does anyone have any ideas, pics or diagrams that they can post to help me out?

My current setup is a 75gal AGA Reef ready tank
Mag7 return - 29gal DIY sump/refug
2x150 MH, 2x96 actinics - Corallife Retro
3xMJ1200 - i to replace with the closed loop

If you want to see one working with a Mag 18 then you are more then welcome to stop by.. I do not have a diagram to post and really do not know how to make one. ;) Mine was developed with the help of Calfo and it works great. I would not suggest a spray bar with the mag 18 though.

Vettesarebest;54279 wrote: A spray bar with a Mag 18 why not? Would it just blow it off?

Not enough pressure... If a spray bar is ALL you want then fine but you start throwing three out puts and the spray bar on there and your water pressure goes down to about the force of a 8 year old peeing!

Xyzpdq0121;54331 wrote: Not enough pressure... If a spray bar is ALL you want then fine but you start throwing three out puts and the spray bar on there and your water pressure goes down to about the force of a 8 year old peeing!

That's funny.

To be honest, I currently have the Mag18 in my sump pumping into a 3/4" spray bar. I did 2 rows of 1/4" holes. One row facing backwards (so it would hit the back wall about 1/3 of the way down) and one row facing forwards (angling the holes so it would hit the just in front of the rocks). I spaced the holes in each row 3" apart and alternated the front and back holes. The flow coming out of the holes is quite a bit better than an 8yr old's. The problem I'm having is the amount of water going through my sump. It's causing a lot of micro bubbles in my main tank and moving way to much water for my refug. I've got a ball valve cutting down some of the flow, but I'm just not happy with the setup. Hence why i'm switching back to my original setup - the Mag7 for my return and now adding the Mag18 fitted for the closed loop.

So where are you located so I can see your closed loop setup or better yet, can you post any pics of it?

check this out it lays it out very easy
a>

roundman;54482 wrote: check this out it lays it out very easy
http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html">http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html</a>[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I've looked this one before. He's using a SCWD Wavemaker with a Mag7. I looked at the SCWD website and it says the most it can handle is 1400GPH. Looking at my Mag18 spec sheet, 4ft of head pressure would produce 1400GPH. That may work if I decide to go that route.

Anyone else have any suggestions or comments?

Keep in mind the more flow you put on the SCWD the faster it alternates. Over 1000gph it starts alternating flow VERY quickly.

Cameron;54549 wrote: Keep in mind the more flow you put on the SCWD the faster it alternates. Over 1000gph it starts alternating flow VERY quickly.

Yeah I saw that. It says it will change directions about every 4 seconds. I think I may stay with the spray bar option and see how that works out.

DouggieFresh;54438 wrote: That's funny.

To be honest, I currently have the Mag18 in my sump pumping into a 3/4" spray bar. I did 2 rows of 1/4" holes. One row facing backwards (so it would hit the back wall about 1/3 of the way down) and one row facing forwards (angling the holes so it would hit the just in front of the rocks). I spaced the holes in each row 3" apart and alternated the front and back holes. The flow coming out of the holes is quite a bit better than an 8yr old's. The problem I'm having is the amount of water going through my sump. It's causing a lot of micro bubbles in my main tank and moving way to much water for my refug. I've got a ball valve cutting down some of the flow, but I'm just not happy with the setup. Hence why i'm switching back to my original setup - the Mag7 for my return and now adding the Mag18 fitted for the closed loop.

So where are you located so I can see your closed loop setup or better yet, can you post any pics of it?

If that is all you want on your CL is a spray bar then I think you have enough pressure but once you start affinf a few 1/2" outlets to it, you are going to drop pressure like a rock. It depends on how much flow you want and where...

I am in Lawrenceville... It is a bit hard to shoot pics of my CL because the one on the 55 gal is behind some rocks as well as around the frame and the other one that I am building for the 40 is going to be under the sand bed.

Back