Closed loop

lilrobb

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">I am setting up a closed loop on my 225g tank.</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">It’s just getting confusing for me as to how to drill the tank for it.</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">I have been reading about it a lot, and guess I don’t get the part where they say “drilled bottom for closed loop”, why would one drill the bottom for it?</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">I am thinking drilling one extra hole in the backwall in each overflow and install bulkheads with strainers for eventual debris, and basically T’ing those two together and attach to the pump (Dart or Barracuda, recommendations please).</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Then drilling another 4 holes in the backwall for the return, two in the upper third of the tank, and two in the lower third of the tank – the pump will be dividing the flow with an OM 4way (thanks Shane) to all 4 outlets. Each with a Y locline adapter to direct the flow where needed.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Any problems you foresee with this?</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">My ultimate goal is to not use ANY powerheads within the tank.</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Thanks.</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Robb</span></span>

One potential problem is the flow capacity of your overflows. The way you describe it, BOTH the return and the CL will be drawing from the overflows, which is a LOT of flow and likely to result in a lot of noise from water screaming through the teeth and splashing around. I would recommend drilling an additional hole in the back glass for a CL intake.

Chymos,

I am trying to avoid that as it will present a possible hazard for stuff getting sucked in.
But I get the problem...
I will need to check what my overflows are rated for.

My 180 is drilled twice halfway up the back. Dual screens on each. Loop returns water around the rim of the tank.

If you are doing a 4way the dart would be great for the closed loop pump only

ares;375305 wrote: be SURE that you put a valve on EVERY bulkhead, and lots of unions. threaded bulkheads on the inside too so you can put a screw in plug if all else fails. closed loops scare me :( just consider what would happen if anything failed, you have to be able to service everything, so be sure you can disassemble it without draining the tank.

Or be sure there is a way to plug the bulkheads from the tank side. My bulkheads are internally threaded with loc-line ports screwed in. If a tank disassembly is required, I unscrew the ports and screw in caps.

Like Smoothie, I also have dual screens on the intake. This provides redundancy as well as cuts the suction in half from a single screen.

Umm,

what exactly is a dual screen?
I've never seen anything else than those strainer types thingts for bulkheads...

Will not work. But you can use 1 drain hole as inlet for CL if you just drill the overflow box, install bulkhead and 90. You do not need both drains for a slow flow sump and fuge. And I believe you would be better off pulling from the opposite side of the working drain. You will also be pulling water from behind the rock which will in turn keep the junk from piling up back there.

I hope I have confused you more.

Chris

LilRobb;375308 wrote: Umm,

what exactly is a dual screen?
I've never seen anything else than those strainer types thingts for bulkheads...

Same piece, but insted of screwing directly into the bulkhead, screw one into each side of a T, and attach the 3rd leg of the T to the bulkhead.

The return pump will be the other one, either Dart or Barracuda - both are not really SLOW flowing ones LOL.
Getting one hole behind the rockwork makes sense - now I would need to know what a double screen is.

ares;375309 wrote: its hard to screw in a plug if its on the bottom of the back wall of a 225g tank,

True story, but if you are breaking down a tank, it's a pain already...:eek:

You also can do a hangover intake for the loop and not drill anything. super easy to work on and no drilling . No one even notices the intake . some ask where all the flow is coming from then I show them the system. I can make you a pvc strainer like mine. You need to drive 2 minutes up the road and seeit rob. shooting you a pm now.

Yes, hangover drain is also an option. Check out Melev's site for a good pictorial. On my crackberry now, so don't have the link, but I believe you can find it by searching for a SCWD on his site.

You can use the black abs pipe at Lowes . In most tanks 3 months down the road and you can't see what color the pipe was from the coraline growth

I'm sure you've thought of this Rob... but what about just drilling two holes in the overflows (one high for the supply of the loop and one low to drain for the loop) and hiding all the vertical piping associated with the closed loop IN the overflow(really just the supply line coming in the top with a 90 down and a 90 across the bottom then through the wall of the overflow)..

you'd have a PVC loop that ran the perimeter (and possibly through the middle) of tank covered by the sand and you could use T's with locline coming up from the sand to direct the flow

the drain will pull water out of the bottom of the overflow box..

If your overflows can't handle the setup, use a dremel or small laminate trimmer router to lengthen (down, of course) the "teeth" of your overflow, it will prevent the water level in your tank from rising too high.

of course, I only suggest drilling the holes one high and one low to minimize the number of holes you have to drill under the waterline in the tank...
you could also just use one overflow for the loop drain and one overflow for the loop return if there's too much piping to put them both in the same overflow

got a picture of the tank?

no need for a siphon break on the close loop because as soon as the pump shuts off, you'll stop flow (and drainage) after all.. it IS a CLOSED loop... nowhere for the water to go..

If you use the black abs pipe and run it the length of the overflow with slots cut in the pipe and place it on the outside in the corner of the overflow and the tank it actually looks like part of the overflow.

what did you end up planning for the CL?

or is that the tank that is fully tempered ?

Back