Cloud of death!

kevinbeth

Market
Reaction score
My top off pump jammed on and flooded my tank with lime water. One big cloudy haze of white and dead fish.:sad: I don't think i want to set it up again. I have all the 1/2 alive fish in my quar.. tank so we shall see. If i loose my big pb i think i will loose it!

WOW!

But how could a jammed pump cause that?

Sorry to hear that!

Ugh!

Now I get the picture - kinda worst thing to happen, dammit.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately that's the big drawback to kalk. Try to stay with it and pull through :)

Unfortunately the big crashes happen to everybody -- try to stay with it, and put a backup float switch and maybe a ph meter connected that can shut off power to the ato if the ph gets too high.

I hope your fish make it!

Soarin';324118 wrote: maybe a ph meter connected that can shut off power to the ato if the ph gets too high.

That is what I have on my tank. I use a Pinpoint pH controller with the setpoint at about 8.5. It controls power to my Tunze Osmolator and my Nilsen stirrer. If the pH of the tank gets above 8.5 it turns off power to both of them. You cannot use a Milwaukee Instruments SMS 122 for this, as it only has a low setpoint. You need a Pinpoint or a brand that has a high setpoint.
Dave

Sorry to hear that. This always has me worried. I try to keep only a gallon or two in my topoff incase it floods over with kalk, but this has always worried me. I've thought about going to a drip just to stop this from being a possibility, I think I will do that this weekend. The thought of crashing a system due to ATO sticking is just too frightening to me.

Yeah, man just regroup, figure out a redundant setup that will help avoid that in the future, and get back to it!

That sucks!! Sorry :(

Something like that happens to all of us at least once~ Try to think of it as now you get to find new pretties, and not that you lost all your established ones :)

My pb was eating this morning. My pair of clowns were swimming around this morning so i moved them to quar. as well and they began to eat. As always the blue damsel was still alive { impossible to kill one of these}. I last all 5 of my anthias:shout: and my ya****a goby. The coral isn't bleached yet so i guess we shall see. I don't know what made me get up at midnight and go check on the tank.

Motherly instinct?

One night one of my return hoses blew off. My dogs started whinning loudly, even though I couldnt hear anything. Very cool, saved me a lot of water loss and a pump, probably.

That really is a bummer, sorry about your losses! Hopefully, you're corals will be ok but it may be a while before you know for sure. I have two Six-line Wrasses for sale and if I don't sell them both you can have one for free if you are interested.

Ouch - I had this happen to me - lost about 40% of my corals and most my fish - it's brutal. Just do a bunch of water changes and hope for the best.

Well it wasnt to bad. I lost 5 anthias but my pb made it. I lost the oregon tort and the blue tort. Why is it the expensive ones have to go, why not the ugly brown ones. I thought my ya****a was toast but i scooped him out and he seems to be good. I now have a crazy brown alg outbreak. Poss missing fish? Is there something other than waterchanges i should do? Will the tank have to cycle again since i killed so much?

That sucks. Just skim heavy and do some good water changes. Once everything settles, you should be okay.

I think you got the blue tort from me a while back, right? I'll replace it when you're ready-think of it as the ARC extended warranty plan :D

I think it depends on how much if any bacteria died and how much ammonia is produced from whatever else died. If things like pods and bristle worms survived to help eat the dead stuff then you may be OK. Have you checked ammonia, nitrite and nitrate since the crash? If you have a lot of live rock I would think the bacteria would build up quickly and if there is any cycle it will be very short.

Back