cloudy water from sand

mikeup6

Market
Reaction score
I just added all my sand last night. The tank already had live rock and water in it. Now it is so cloudy I can't even see the rocks, and it didn't clear up any overnight. How long will it take to clear up, and will it have an affect on my cycle?

Did you rinse the sand before adding? It'll settle down---may take a day or two depending on flow, filtration, etc....

mine was like this until i through my huge HOB 400 filter on there and it cleared it up in a day or two......

You can either add a filter or just wait. It'll take a little time; wont hurt anything though.

Cool, thanks. I guess I should have put the sand in first. I was excited about getting my tank set up and now I can't even see anything - it just sucks.

putting sand in first usually isnt a good idea.. mainly because you will have things creating tunnels through it and if they happen to tunnel under live rock you could have a big collapse in your tank :)

Carty;178458 wrote: putting sand in first usually isnt a good idea.. mainly because you will have things creating tunnels through it and if they happen to tunnel under live rock you could have a big collapse in your tank :)

I meant before the water :D. Rock - sand - then water.

lol well i put sand water rock so i hope i dont have anything like that but i have a buddy that put his rock in after sand and water and he has a eel and nothing like that has happend to him its been up for 6 or so months

I think the most important thing is that the rock touches the glass and doesn't rest on top of the sand. Carty is right, tunneling could cause a huge landslide.

Back