Clown and anemone

sigshane

Market
Reaction score
Hi all. I know this is a threadbare subject, but here goes. I have had a maroon clown since i first cycled my tank. Well, errr..that's about six months, on this tank anyway.

I wanted to add an anemone, for the symbiotic bond they exhibit, so I added one - a beautiful Ritteri about two-fists sized all round and spreads out larger than a dinner plate - very nice specimen.

The clownfish has not given the thing a second glance. I just looked up some info the ritteri, and - lo and behold - maroons are not listed as any of the hosting species of clowns.

Is this accurate? I mean, more than one source omitted the maroon from the ritteri hosting list.

Am I patiently waiting for what's never gonna happen?

Not sure about the proper clown/anemone combo, but if it's a captive bred clown it is a common problem. I have heard of people addressing the issue by chasing the clown into the anemone(not sure how you would do that exactly) or taping a picture to the tank, of a similar clown pair in an anemone.

Get a floating basket for pond plants from the garden section of home depot and put both inside it for a few days leave it floating in the corner , I use a clothes pin to keep it from moving around the tank if your rock work is tall.

Shrimpy Brains;1028778 wrote: Not sure about the proper clown/anemone combo, but if it's a captive bred clown it is a common problem. I have heard of people addressing the issue by chasing the clown into the anemone(not sure how you would do that exactly) or taping a picture to the tank, of a similar clown pair in an anemone.

+1 I've never personally used the picture method. But, I've read it works from time to time.

That picture taped to the tank idea seems so goofy,....

That I am going to try it ASAP!! I'll post my results.

I'm not a fan of forcing things.

Maroons naturally will be hosted by E. quadricolor (Bubble Tip) and Macrodactylis doreensis (Long-Tentacle). Both of those are much easier to keep as well.

Maroons do have a strong drive to be hosted, so sometimes they'll take to other host anemones but they also could be stung/eaten by specimens that aren't their natural match. Sometimes they'll flirt with it until they become accustomed to it, but there's no guarantee you'll get a match anyway.

I'd suggest returning the Ritteri and procuring a more natural match and let it happen on its own.

Jenn

I tried the picture method to see what would happen and if freaked out the fish...all of them. I taped it on the side of the tank where the clowns tend to hang out around the powerhead but it is also the side where I put my nori clip. The clowns left that area and didn't investigate the GBTA but so did the other fish. None of them would go to that side and wouldn't eat the nori...I removed it after a few days and things went back to the same as before.

If I do wind up taking something back, Jenn, it will most likely be the fish. It had been a while since my LFS got any worthwhile anemone in, so I'm keeping this one!

Back