Clown compatibility/hosting

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
I have two Ocellaris clowns... supposedly. As of tonight, one is MIA. I've searched high and low, sump, overflow... no clue. I have been fighting a dino outbreak so feeding has been very sparse. I fed frozen tonight to try to bait him out. No luck.

SOOOOooooo... I'm hoping for the best but fearing the worst. If he doesn't turn up out of hiding, I want to form a game plan for replacing him (the larger of the pair is fine).

I was wondering what other types would get along.... no breeding in my future at all; just looking for "buddies". I got these long before I ever thought about owning an anemone, and they never glance(d) at my RBTA in the three months I've had it. After doing some reading it seems Ocellaris rarely host anemones that are kept in aquaria... so I'd like to get a young fish (to be male) of a species that will do double duty of getting along, and maybe host and teach by example.

I was thinking true Perc due to similar appearance, plus I'm pretty sure I've seen them together, but I'm open to the wisdom of the ancients.

Size is more important than breed. Get something much smaller or larger than the other. It will help keep fighting to a minimum.

Dakota9;366172 wrote: Size is more important than breed. Get something much smaller or larger than the other. It will help keep fighting to a minimum.

These were both young fish (identical size when purchased), and they had in the last month or so started becoming different in size... a difference of maybe 25%. The apparent female is fine... wouldn't I have to go with a smaller one? I mean, if "she" had started assuming gender, and I introduced a large clown, "she" couldn't revert, could she? And wouldn't two females be likely fight more then one of each?

Please don't read this as doubt... just want to understand thoroughly.

Smaller works better because the one left in the tank is already dominant.
With a larger one there may be a fight to the death and your current buddy may not survive. Smaller one- it still lives

Thanks, that was what I was sort of assuming. Now, I know to stay away from the "bad-a" clowns like maroons, period. Am I OK (knowing there are no sure things in life) with a true perc? I'd like to better my odds of getting some hostin' going on.

I COULD rehome the single and get another pair, but I'd really rather not.

Automatic hosting would only come from an adult sadly. Back in Dec when alot of people on different forums where posting their female clown had jumped mine had to be cool too and pull a Swayze and carpet surf. Got a smaller one that was challenged by the existing male (now female) that lived and as of 2 weeks ago my nem finally has a host again. Worth the wait, but the nem had to be fed more stay keep regularity.

I'm not so much worried about automatic hosting, just a reasonably good chance of it happening period. The more I've read on Ocellaris it seems they are less likely to host anything that most any other clown.

Your post reminds me... I didn't check the floor behind the stand.

Ouch!
It always happens in time, but is always fun watching them hit puberty and hosting things like powerheads and in tank heaters

Still no sign of him. Short of tearing down the rock, I have to assume he's back there Tango Uniform.

Interesting... I've heard of using a pic of a hosting clown, but I always figured (and was told) that it was the HOSTING part of the pic that was important. Your explanation is more logical, though.

Maybe I'll actually pursue the idea of adopting out my single and get a true perc pair... I actually LOVE GSMs, but I don't want the SS Death Squad in my peaceful tank.

You can train them to host by placing the nem and the clowns in a basket together.They will be hosting in no time.

kelleyga36;366206 wrote: You can train them to host by placing the nem and the clowns in a basket together.They will be hosting in no time.
I think the risk is too great that the new clown will dig deep into it's indian roots and bust out some smackaho tribe on the new guy. An established pair yes. A single and nem yes.

Barbara;366212 wrote: Oh, and Barry, you need to go back with another of the same kind. I tried pairing a B&W (which is a false perc) with an Onyx (which is a true perc). Of all clowns, those two are some of the most docile, and it still didn't work. The B&W killed (or pestered to death) the onyx. Just get another small nemo. Go to a store that has a group of them and select one of the smaller ones so you know it is unsexed or a male (as the one you have is probably the female).

I have a great trick for introducing the two. Get a box that strawberries come in, but make sure the lid fits snugly (I have found that "Driscoll" brand has the tight fitting lid). Use the strawberry box with a small magnet on the inside to clip onto the glass and put the new clownfish in the box for a few days, then release. If that's not long enough, catch and put back in the strawberry box a few more days. I may even have a strawberry box for you.
Makes me want to scream "Welcome to the Thunderdome!"

I'd stick with the same specie - smaller as has been suggested.

As for forcing a host - I'm not in favor of that either.

Ocellaris' instinct to host does not seem to be as strong as some other species in my observation - but it does happen (although not always).

BTA is not their natural host. Carpet anemones are. Having said that, they won't always host in those either. It's hit and miss.

I have a 7 year old pair of Ocellaris that had nothing to host in for the first few years, then by chance I had moved them into my sell system and they picked a BTA. Right now they are back in my sell system (I took down my 120 at the shop) and they currently are all over in various BTA and even Euphyllia I have in that system.

Sometimes they will host in Sarcophyton...

Bottom line - it's up to Mother Nature. Some folks force them by putting them in close quarters, and this can work but I don't engage in it... I'd rather they do it themselves - but that's just me.

Jenn

Back