Clown fish help, please...

raisingtwo2006

Market
Reaction score
This morning, my hubby noticed what looks like white facial hair growing on my maroon....

It's lots of tiny 'hair' looking things sticking off of his face area only.. He does host a BTA, and Dennis said maybe it tried to eat him.. But it doesn't look like skin hanging off.. maybe even looks like he got attacked by an underwater porcupine and it left quills in his face...

Any ideas??
I've got pics I will be adding momentairily..

pics
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
142923=8922-a0002.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
142923=8922-a0002.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="a0002.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
142923=8923-a0003.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
142923=8923-a0003.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="a0003.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
142923=8921-a0004.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
142923=8921-a0004.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="a0004.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

How long have you had this fish? Any new additions?

Sometimes clowns get uppity, and try to evict anyone to close to their home. This may include bristleworms (the porcupine's brother from another mother) too. That is quite a stretch, but possible. Make sure this isnt just a lot of excessive mucous slough off. That may be the starts of brookynella, which is ugly.

nope, no new additions at all.. dosed with Chemiclean yesterday.. not any slimey stuff coming off of him at all yet...

Are the quills moving?!? What I mean is does it look like they are moving on their own, independant of the fish?

I was thinking bristle worm as well. Does it look like quills? Has there been any changes, fewer or more hairs? Have you ever seen a large bristle worm in the tank?

yes, it looks like quills
no, they are not moving- very stiff
yes, I've seen some that had to be 3-4 inches, but nothing bigger- not that I've seen anyway.

If it is bristleworm quills, what do I do??

RaisingTwo2006;142946 wrote: yes, it looks like quills
no, they are not moving- very stiff
yes, I've seen some that had to be 3-4 inches, but nothing bigger- not that I've seen anyway.

If it is bristleworm quills, what do I do??

nothing. they will come out on their own. Is this a single clown, or part of a pair? My pair of maroons are always quite beat up around their mouths from preparing egg sites.

Edit- 3-4 inches??? Are you sure? Maybe you have a porcupine in your tank.

ha ha.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
142950=8924-images.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
142950=8924-images.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="images.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

BTA- It's one of Greg (Fester)'s Nems. Yes, worms are 3-4 inches, not the quills :)

Oh, and she is by herself.. so far, I've lost two baby maroons trying to pair her up.. One to a puffer, and one to a hole in his side :(

Back