Clown Fish Hostile After Anemone Addition?

sj miller guy

Market
Reaction score
A buddy of mine was trying to be nice to his tomato clown that he has as one of his fish in his 75 gallon and decided to purchase an anemone for him to live/play in. Well immediately the fish loved it and wouldn't leave it except for occasionally during feeding time.

Well after a few days he has grown pretty hostile every time Joey puts his hand in the tank or even walks by the tank. I know these clowns are somewhat aggressive anyway, but the darn thing attacks the magnet scraper even when he tries to scrape the glass. He can forget about putting his hand in the tank because when he does, the clown rams him and nips at his hands immediately.

It's actually pretty funny to me, but he asked to post whether anyone else has had this problem. He's actually thinking about taking the clown back to the store.

By the way, he also has a Sohal, yellow hawaiian, and purple tang so he is definatley kept in check on his aggression.

Any ideas?

Ya this is what clows do... he is protecting his anemone... Live with it...

thats just the nature of a clown, funny how you think they are all cute but we need to remember that clown fish are very aggressive!

Both my true percula and saddleback clown bites me everytime I am in the tank. It doesn't hurt and no longer scares me. I just give them a flick and show them who's boss. Bite them back and you will see an instant additude change.

Xyzpdq0121;52901 wrote: Ya this is what clows do... he is protecting his anemone... Live with it...

Clown fish like black and whites, true or false perculas, etc., can be like puppies ready to eat out of your hand until you introduce them to an anemone.

BUT when an anemone is introduced to a percula, the clown fish will be transformed into a guard dog. It may be immediate or it may take a few weeks, but ultimately that clown fish will protect that anemone and strike anything that it believes to be a threat to the anemone.

Bob

Yep same as above. Don't mind the bites except on my forearm which I find annoying.

Fighting back just pisses mine off more. I have even thumped her a couple times and it just eggs her on.

That's funny because when I thump both my percula and saddleback they lay off for a few days and start back up again. I can't help but laugh, those clownfish are just hilarious!:tongue2:

Cameron;53123 wrote: Fighting back just pisses mine off more. I have even thumped her a couple times and it just eggs her on.

Back